We stood like that for a couple of minutes when I noticed Nolan had fallen asleep. I slowly moved so that he could lie comfortably on the sofa, placing a pillow underneath his head. I felt his forehead. He was burning up. I hope the Ibupheron kicks in soon. Our mother arrived from her work at the hospital just two hours before she turned. She had been bitten on the shoulder while in the emergency room and addressed the wound herself when she arrived home. She was informing me about what was happening as she frantically told us to pack what we needed the most, but not too much. I could hardly believe what she was saying nor could I understand what she was saying because she was talking so quickly. It sounded like something out of a horror movie. Mom suddenly had to sit down. Her breathing became rapid and she started shaking. I felt her forehead and she was burning up. I suggested that she lie down and rest before we leave. That was the last time I saw my mother alive. I guess she didn't get the infection on time. But I got to Nolan's infection on time. I did, I did. He won't turn.

I went into my room, found my phone and quickly sent text messages to my grandfather and friends in hopes that they were ok. I looked out my bedroom window from the 3rd floor apartment we live in and all I could see was total chaos outside. Cars were on fire or flipped over on its side. Eaters were jumping on people, biting them as they struggled to free themselves. Why is this happening? What is going on? How did it get started?

My mom moved us to Itaewon Korea when she and my father divorced after she caught him cheating with his secretary. Yeah I know, so cliche. Nolan was only two years old at the time. She chose Itaewon because it's very diverse and to be honest, I fell in love with this place. My mother's dad is Korean and her mother is African American. Unfortunately, her mother passed away from cancer when my mom was 13 years old. My grandfather and his mother raised my mom in California and made sure she was fluent in the Korean language as well as very educated. My grandfather is a doctor and my mother followed his steps. My mom caught my dad's attention and they married after one year of dating. My grandfather and great grandmother moved back to Jeju Island, Korea after he and my mother had a falling out because he disapproved of my father. Seems like Hal-abeoji (grandfather) was right. Our dad didn't bother keeping in touch with us once he and his mistress were married shortly after the divorce.

I took the nunchucks from my dresser, examining it like it was the first time. I'm actually a pro with this weapon. My mom put me in TaeKwonDo when I was 4 years old back in California and I continued my training here. Now 12 years later, I became a two time blackbelt not only in self defense, but in weaponry as well. Nunchucks are my specialty and by far my favorite weapon to use. My heart jumped when I finally heard my phone chime in a text message after almost two hours. I nervously opened the message, almost dropping my phone.

Abbie! R U OK?

Yeah. WTF is going on?

Abbie, stay inside! Don't let anyone in your apartment

I won't!..Mai...My mom is dead

Oh Abbie, was she infected?!

She was

I'm so sorry Abs

She bit Nolan's arm

.......

Abbie, get away from him!

Why?!

He's infected Abs. He's going to turn

We don't know that for sure. I got the infection on time

It doesn't matter Abbie...Does he have a fever?

Shit! Please no, he can't turn. I disinfected his wound on time. Please no, please.

Yes, he has a fever but I gave him Ibuprofen

Abbie listen to me....You have to kill him

WHAT?! R U FUCKING CRAZY? I CAN'T KILL HIM!

Abbie....

I tossed my phone on my bed angry that Mai Ling would suggest such a horrible thing. I opened my drawer and took out a shirt to wear. Has Mai Ling lost her mind? He's fine...right? I slowly walked out of my room, nunchucks in hand and headed towards the living room. My heart dropped when Nolan wasn't on the sofa where I left him. My body began to shake and I could hear my heart thumping hard in my ears. My breathing picked up pace and I felt like I was suffocating. I stood frozen in place hoping deep down inside that Mai Ling was wrong. "Nolan?" My voice cracked as I called out for him. My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach when he appeared from the kitchen doorway looking just like our mom did not too long ago. I felt fresh hot tears run down my face as I was faced with the reality that my baby brother has turned into an infected. All my attempts to save him were for nothing. That thing replaced my beautiful loving brother. Nolan is no longer Nolan, but an Eater.

Nolan suddenly charged towards me with a monstrous growl, little hands out to tear me apart. He suddenly fell to the floor with his head split open, blood oozing out of his head, decorating the floor. My hands, my body were shaking as if I was outside in zero degree weather wearing nothing but a bathing suit. I numbly fall to my knees, my eyes wide open in horror as I look at the nunchucks dripping with Nolan's blood. I didn't even realize that I had struck him. I heard a loud wailing cry that matched the chaos outside and probably the rest of the world. I also realized that it was coming from me.

I woke up sweating and crying. It's the same nightmare I have had every night for the past 2 years since I lost my mother and little brother to the virus outbreak. I'm now 18 years old. We found out early during the outbreak that it was caused by a venom bite of an escaped python snake deep in the Amazon jungle that scientists had experimented on. A group of explorers were on the expedition when one of them came into contact with the infected python. He turned within two hours, but he was brought back evading customs, entering the United States for further experimentation. In other words, he was dissected. One of the doctors stole a tube of the infected blood and flew back to Korea for testing on a rat. A rat that bit the doctor and somehow, shit hit the fan from there. I read somewhere that half of the United States is infected. A big wall like the one that separates Mexico has been built from North Dakota straight down the middle of Texas to keep the Eaters away. Unfortunately, those who live on the West Coast, like my father, are either infected or trying to survive. Either way, my situation is none better. We also found out that we must aim for the head to officially kill an Eater. Something I did out of instinct when I killed my mother and little brother. The 3rd floor survivors, including me, were lucky to get out. But, it wasn't easy.