chapter 2

Bens POV

It was still only afternoon when I heard a group of doctors and nurses muttering something by me. Obviously we were in the hospital again. There was an excruciating pain on my left side and thigh. I didn't worry as much about my body as I did about my concert tonight. It was only the second date of the tour and I don't know if I was going to make it. I don't mean to sound stuck up, but the band really needs me. As much as I need them. I turned around from facing the wall and noticed that there was a curtain around the other sides of my bed. I was in a gown like Danny was, but nobody from the band was in the room with me, which I could tell from the voices of the people talking and the size of the room. I started panicking, thinking about where I was and where my friends were and what time it was. I manage to choke out,"excuse me?" to whoever was behind the curtain. A nice-looking lady popped her head through the curtain and smiled at me. "Oh, you're awake!"  

“Uhh...yeah. What’s going on?” I replied.

“Your friends told me that you fell and passed out. They brought you here. It’s still only 3:00 p.m., so whatever you had planned to do with your friends tonight you will probably still be able to do.”

“Oh. Right. I fell. What town are we in?”

“You’re in Saint Michael’s Medical Center in Newark. It’s only about 20 minutes away from New York City, so you will get to your location on time.”

“Yeah, that’s great. When am I getting out of here?” I was getting sort of annoyed at this point and just wanted to leave.

“Well, to put it simply, you have something wrong with your nerves in your thigh. We’ll put a brace around it but you can’t do anything too active for a few days. We’re going to look into your case a bit more for the next half hour, and afterwards we will call you and tell you whether you will be fine or not. You’ll be able to go back to your friends in only ten minutes.”

“Thanks. That’s great. Should I just wait here until then?” I honestly just wanted to get the fuck out of there.

“Yes, just lie down there for a bit and-”

“I will. Thanks again.” I was getting sick of her voice and just wanted this whole thing to be over with. I still couldn’t believe what Danny had gotten me and the band into. I closed my eyes to pass the time until I heard the door open. I recognized Cam’s voice as he said hello to the nurses. One of the nurses talked to Cam a bit but I couldn’t make out what they were saying to each other. He stepped through my curtain and I lit up. I was really happy to see him. He told me that we can leave after they put the brace on me, so I got up. The pain went down a bit from when I first woke up. They put the brace around my leg and gave me my clothes. I changed in the bathroom and saw Danny when I walked out. He flashed his cute smile at me, but this time I didn’t really enjoy it. I gave him attitude as I said “hey” and walked past him to the other members. Sam and James came to give me a hug and asked me how I was feeling. I told them I would be fine, but then the nurse interrupted and reminded me that I can't do anything very active until they know it'll be safe. I smirked a smile at Sam and James, as if to say "fuck that", but they looked serious. I was really confused. We had to put on good shows for this tours, and that can't happen if I'm sitting down. Nothing was going to happen to me if I just performed as I usually did. Besides, I would do anything for our fans. If I have fun, they have fun.

As the crew and I were walking out of the hospital, Sam, Cam, and James gently asked me how I would perform tonight. I told them I wouldn't do anything different than usual. They looked sort of worried but I assured them I would be fine. I turned around to see Danny sitting down against the wall outside of the hospital. "Hold up," I told them and went to Danny. His head was in his legs with his arms wrapped around it. I tapped him lightly on the shoulder. "Danny, we have to be at the venue soon for sound check. Come on."

He just grunted back at me. I sat next to him, "What's going on?" I gently asked.

"Shit, Ben, I'm so fuckin' sorry. I screwed up." He said to me while looking away.

"Yeah, you did," I joked. "But-we all get really stressed and mess up every now and then. And sometimes we get drunk again. Just...just, promise me something."

"Yeah man, anything." He was looking at me this time.

"Come to me first, alright? Don't take out your problems by drinking all the time.”

“I promise, Benji.” he whispered. With that, i gave him my hand and pulled him to his feet. we walked side by side back to the tour bus and found the guys in the back room. As soon as the door opened, they all went quiet and stared at me.

“Sit down Ben, we need to talk.”