05| The Night Hunter

Start from the beginning

                           By the sudden attack the two horses dragged the front poles of the broken cart and ran away, leaving the two charioteers alone out there.The two charioteers who were shocked by the accident crawled out under the collapsed cart with minor injuries. Edith waited for them to come out and pointed her pistol at one of them without any regrettable thoughts.

"What's inside the cart?" Edith asked in a very deep voice.

"Who are you? A mugger? We are not stupid enough to give information to muggers!! " Even though he was bleeding from his forehead, one charioteer said with a strenuous voice.

"Yes, I am a mugger... It means that I can even kill you " Edith said that and hit the charioteer's neck with the pistol, knocking him unconscious for several hours. Next, Edith turned towards the charioteer whose hand was completely covered in blood and pointed the pistol at him.

"What's inside this?"

"C- co-coal" the cartman said it with a trembling voice.

"Doesn't the coal belong to natives? That's what the king ordered"

"We don't know about that...we're just doing what they've told, please don't kill us" The charioteer began to beg while bowing his head to Edith.But she didn't care about his cringe and stared at the cart for a moment.

"Who ordered you to transport these?" The charioteer did not answer Edith's question.

"If i ask this one more time, you won't be able to talk forever... Now tell me who ordered you to transport these."

"A British soldier gave us this job... we don't know his name, please don't kill us...please i beg you" Frustrated by the quaking voice of the charioteer, Edith looked at the right place as she had done to the previous one and hit with the handle of the pistol. Edith learned this useful trick from an African tribe.

                            Edith tied the charioteers to a nearby tree and went near the half destroyed cart while putting the pistol in her pocket. There must have been at least ten boxes of coal.  Edith decided that the coal mine was small based on the number of boxes.After that, with the dagger in her hand Edith wrote a few words on the wooden belt of the cart, "For natives only". At that time, no one was doing anything other than small things like heating the houses with coal in the winter. There was a thing called coal train, but the king had not given his approval for it. So technically it was illegal to get coal for it.

                             That is why Edith did not know that coal was being shipped from New South Wales to Britain. Although the King has approved to use coal in New South Wales, He did not given the permission to take it to another country yet. So Edith didn't like the fact that coal was filled in safety boxes that use for shipping. Edith thought very significantly for a moment whether to inform the king about this or not.  At that moment, her senses felt a very subtle footstep. If it had happened to an ordinary person, it would be impossible to hear it.  Edith immediately turned back and grabbed a dagger from her waist.

"It won't help at all, boy. there are two of us here." Edith looked annoyingly at these two amazing young men who were holding two swords in their hands.she saw that the swords are glowing even in the dark. When she saw them covering their faces and wearing dirty clothes like two common thieves, Edith understood why those charioteers were talking about thieves.

"Who are you?" The other man who was there asked Edith while stepping ahead after seeing what had happened there. Without saying a word, Edith slowly moved her hand towards her pistol.