"It's been keeping me busy, but I'll be free next weekend if you wanna hang. I miss you so fucking much."

"How much?" I said, smirking even though he couldn't see me.

"Maybe one smooch on the lips."

"You're gay."

"That's homophobic."

"I am homophobic."

"Prove it. Wanna jerk off together?"

I sat up on the bed and raised an eyebrow. "No."

"Why not?" he whined.

"Because I'm not in the mood to jerk off."

"Are you alone?" he whispered, as if anyone could hear him.

"Technically, no. I'm in a new place and I have a roommate."

"Can't wait to meet them! Invite them to hang out with us!"

"Can't, he's really busy."

It technically wasn't a lie, but it also wasn't the truth. Jin wasn't allowed to go anywhere his siblings didn't approve of. I also didn't want these worlds to collide — despite the fact both Cedric and Elijah had already done that. The more distance I keep between my best friend and these people the better. I cared too much about him to be reckless and let him become a victim.

"He? Are you cheating on me?" he said, using his soft sad voice. "Are you guys jerking off together?"

"He's seventeen."

"Uh. Jesus Christ. At least wait till he's eighteen, brother."

"That's . . . He's a friend, don't make it weird."

"Sorry."

"And you already know I have my eye on someone else."

"You forgot the plural part. Have you decided whose heart you're gonna break yet?"

I rolled on my stomach and sighed into my pillow, letting him hear my muffled voice cry out a no.

"I've never had this happen to me before, so I can't really give you good advice. All I can really say is follow your heart."

I turned my head so he could hear the disappointment in my voice. "That's not very helpful."

"Right? But it made me feel like such an emotionally intelligent best-friend."

"When we moved here, the last thing I thought would happen is this. I kinda just assumed I'd keep on struggling like always, just in a new place. But now I struggle in a different way."

"Are you . . . have you let them hit it?"

"Not that kind of struggle!"

The longer this conversation went on, the harder it was to stay on subject without spilling secrets he wasn't supposed to know. It made it hard to talk to my bestfriend and it was hurting. I could feel my stomach kick me every time I talked, forcing me to hold back so much. It was a shock he hadn't called me out yet.

"Sometimes us straight men fantasize about girls fighting over us. It's a nice scenario. You're like the big man that all the women want. It makes our egos so big. And I can't believe you're now in that fantasy."

"It's not even like that. They're not fighting for me, but I know Cedric feels jealous of Elijah, and Elijah acts confident like he already has me. It's so fucking weird. It doesn't help at all. They're all so weird."