The Call

Just as we are in the middle of pushing this brush fire back away from any more fuel a call streaks across the radio snapping our focus on the task at hand. I remember dropping my halogen right there in the dirt as my dad barks at the team to reel it in, that we needed to move. Jake grabs my equipment for me as everyone streaks toward the engine that I'm already seated in. I can't hear anything until the sight of my dad peering back at me finally allows noise to pass through to my ears, "Bode, I know what your feeling but we need to keep our heads clear or we could lose them both. Do you copy?" He speaks out just as Jake and Eve climb into the rig beside me. I nod my head rapidly as Eve pats my shoulder, "What's going on Chief?" She says as she looks between me and my dad, who wear adorning looks. "It's Sharon and Gabriella. They've been in an accident and that's all I know until we get there so let's get rolling," He grits out as he stares out the window, letting a thousand and one scenarios play out through his head. I would know since mine is on the same rollercoaster as his. Jake didn't even need my dad to finish what he was saying as he clenches his jaw and presses the gas pedal to the floor.