Chapter Eleven: Empty Words

Start from the beginning

But she didn't have to hear; she could see the hurt written plainly on his face.

She sat back and watched the video roll. Chris appeared on the screen, sitting in the branches of a large snow-covered oak. She and Justin appeared beneath him, sitting at the base of the trunk and chatting lovingly. Madeline jumped a little at the surprise of seeing herself on television. Justin took her hand and massaged it as they talked and Chris sang.

The chorus began, and Lance, Joey and J.C. were seen in various places; next to the lake, on a bench, walking down a hill as extras milled in the background. Each looked starkly handsome in the winter sunlight. Then Justin was shown solo walking down the gravel path as he sang his verse. It faded into a split screen to show he and Madeline strolling along the same path together. She pulled off his hat; he chased her and tackled her in the snow. She could tell they used the second take.

More shots of the others singing, then a segue to the ballroom, with J.C. singing in the slow-motion crowd and Justin scanning the faces for her. She approached and took his hands and they began dancing. Then her image dissolved, a figment of his imagination. Madeline felt a lump in her throat noticing her coiffed hair. They looked like a couple, although the natural chemistry was lacking then.

Madeline was then shown alone on the bridge, in deep contemplation, and the torment she'd felt that day showed itself when Justin embraced her from behind.

In the last chorus, the camera jumped between close-ups of the others walking from their respective perches and the bridge, where Justin and Madeline mouthed their parting words. Then the brush on the cheek. Madeline held her breath to see what would happen.

Justin pulled her to him and moved in to kiss her; but before their lips were seen touching, a flash jumped the scene back a few frames. The peck on the cheek was shown again, but this time Madeline walked away without interruption, as she had in the first take. She realized they'd kept both runs and used Justin's spontaneous action as a dream sequence, thereby ending the video with her exit. It faded to a last shot of the group, now including Justin, walking away from the camera on the same bridge.

Madeline had to admit they'd done a good job despite the delays and havoc on the set. But to have their ordeal playing on television in heavy rotation – she wasn't sure she could handle it, especially since the memories came swiftly rushing back to her again.

Looking at him now, darker hair making him look more unfamiliar, she was filled with resolve. Madeline tipped her head back and breathed in whatever courage she could muster. Then she picked up the phone and dialed a number.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It rang as the group sat in Emma's apartment.

"Want me to get it?" Taryn Kane, Emma's roommate, asked.

"I'm expecting a call from the magazine, and had my cell calls transferred here," Emma said, picking her way through the long arms and legs of the boys sprawled over her couch and on the floor, watching television.

She answered it, and her face turned white for a second. Slowly she walked over to Justin and said, "It's for you."

He looked up at her questioningly, then took the receiver and walked into Emma's room. "Hello?"

"Justin," the familiar voice said.

He stared at Emma, who gave him an encouraging look. "Madeline."

"How ... how are you?" she asked in a timid voice.

He ran a hand through his hair. "Fine," he said stiffly.

He didn't ask how she was, but she offered anyway. "Good. I'm doing OK over here."