Bilbo knelt down beside the dwarf, trying to spot his friend underneath the ice, but all he could see were the snowflakes flowing through the streams. Kili had risen quickly, walking back to the opening into the lake.

"Kili," Thorin called. The younger dwarf was prepared to argue again, pushing the king away if he had to. Instead, Thorin grabbed the back of his neck gently, pushing his own forehead against Kili's. When they parted, the prince was given a mere nod and a sad smile.

And then he dove in.

Silence. Again. Deafening silence. Farris had ceased her movements on the ice, no longer sensing her owner. Instead, she jumped over to Bilbo, sitting down atop his knees. Bilbo was too terrified to respond to the owl accordingly.

"They'll make it," he tried to tell himself. To tell Thorin. "They will."

No response came from the dwarf. He had wandered back to the place of battle, his hands wrapping around the giant chain that had carried the boulder. Bilbo's head turned towards the dwarf, not standing up from his spot, but offering him a confused glance.

"Thorin?"

The king had used the chain as Raewyn had, now hitting the ice angrily, causing cracks to appear on the floor.

"Give them a path to get back up." He panted, not letting the hobbit know anything else. But it seemed enough for Bilbo to comply with him.

Letting one hand wander over Farris' feather, he urged her off of her. As he stood up, he unsheathed his sword, aimlessly hacking down on the ice, copying Thorin's movement.

From a distance, two figures walked down the hills, staring at the dwarf and the hobbit attacking the ice wildly. They quickly ran down the slope, spotting Fili against one of the rocks. One leaned down, checking on the dwarf before swinging the prince's arm over his shoulder. Tiredly, Fili slumped his feet with him, his weight on Balin.

"Thorin!" Dwalin called from beside his brother, waving at the two. Giant eagles flew from the skies, taking all orcs and goblins with them. It seemed the battle was coming to an end. Yet, the pair could not catch a break.

Fili's blood ran cold as he seemed to process what the two were trying to do. And why they might be trying to do that.

"Break the ice." Thorin grunted, not sparing his old friend and confidant one glance. His gaze was set on the ice where his nephew had disappeared into only seconds ago. A few seconds too long.He wasn't as bright as Fili. Dwalin heard an order and followed, his feet carrying him across the ice as Balin dubiously carried the crown prince with him.

"Where?" The big dwarf asked, wielding his axe in pride, as if he hadn't been exhausted by all the orcs and goblins he had to slay to still stand there.

"Everywhere." A simple answer. Whilst Dwalin took it as enough, Balin hesitated, still not understanding the situation. From beside him, Fili swallowed thickly tears welling up in his eyes as he realised who exactly were missing.

"Kili and Raewyn." He whispered. Something that went heard by the older dwarf. His grip on Fili momentarily faltered as the gravity of the situation suddenly began to increase on him as well.

Slowly, he helped Fili sit down on the floor, before he grabbed the club he had carried earlier. Then, he walked towards the crowd, following suit, breaking the ice with every step he took.

Meanwhile, under the ice, all Kili could feel was cold. When he had jumped into the water, a freezing temperature suddenly took over, which shouldn't have surprised him as much as it did. Between all the fight and adrenaline, he had forgotten what the temperature had actually been like. But now, submerged by nothing but freezing water, he had to assimilate quick. Too quick for his liking.