Chapter 2 - Bucky & Rosaline

Dugan walked down the hall toward James' office. The classic Rococo furniture contrasted with what the newer generation of the family preferred. But they would never change it. Because what the Barnes family loved more than their outdated furniture was tradition.

They were immutable. The habit of the institution was ingrained into them as young as five years old. For James "Bucky" Barnes- probably younger because he was set to inherit the family business.

Dugan walked in as a lifeless body was being dragged out. The face was unrecognizable as the only feature standing out was a backward initial 'J.B.' imprinted on the man's cheek.

Steve nodded as he saw Dugan approach. He held out his hands towards him in greeting. "Dugan, how are you, my man? Or should I still call you DumDum?" Steve chuckled.

James was watching through the window's reflection as smoke from his cigar blew out from his thin lips. His other hand, adorned with bloodied rings, nursed a half-filled glass of bourbon.

"You're never gonna let me live that down, Rogers? I was four!" Bucky said talking to Steve's reflection.

"And you've been calling him that ever since." Dugan smiled wearily as he took Steve's hand and greeted him. He didn't want to end up like the faceless man that was dragged out moments before.

"Why are you here?" Bucky asked him suspiciously. "You were supposed to be watching the bachelorette party." He turned around, looking straight at Dugan.

"Bucky, you're not gonna like this," Dugan answered, looking sideways at Steve.

"Where's my fiancé, Dugan?" James asked level toned. Dugan took a moment to decide which information he should start with first. "WHERE IS SHE?!" Bucky yelled and Dugan flinched.

"She went into Odinson territory. Got into one of his clubs. I could only watch from the border. I left Junior behind to watch and inform me when she and her friends come out."

"You left the protection of floricica mea to a greenie? WHY WAS SHE EVEN FUCKING THERE?!"

"Buck, I'm sorry. I tried..." Dugan started. Bucky grabbed his collar and pushed him up against the wall.

"And if something happens to her, Dugan? If she gets kidnapped? What happens? Will you be sorry then too?" Bucky let go of his shirt. "Go back and tell me as soon as she comes out. Grab the entire party and send them home. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, boss,"

"Bring Rose and Lia here!"

"Yes, boss," Dugan quickly accepted his command and left. Bucky was seething. He knew of your history with the older Odinson brother. Why the fuck would you go there?

"Buck, I'm sure there's an explanation," Steve tried to placate him. "Maybe she didn't know."

Bucky contemplated, then sighed. "No. That's bullshit. She knows the boundaries, at least." He downed the rest of his whiskey and slammed it on his desk reaching for the decanter. Steve watched him from the corners of his eyes as he sipped his drink slowly. He knew Bucky could be temperamental...at best. You were an angel for having fallen in love with him.

"Buck, she's madly in love with you. YOU! You crazy, fucked-up psycho. She's a saint for doing so. And for all you know, it could've been Lia who suggested it. She wouldn't know where the borders are."

"Lia can be rebellious," Bucky noted.

"She's naïve. Which in our line of work, can be dangerous." Steve answered back.

"She didn't grow up in the life."

"Does she know? That you're...about your family business?" Steve waved his fingers around.