"Nat..." Steve sighed. "I don't think she was running from you. The kid adores you and feels safe with you" he said before pointing to the stuffed koala she was gripping. "She's all the time clinging to you like a baby koala" he chuckled softly.

Natasha gave him a watery smile while staring at the stuffed animal, her fingertips caressing the soft fabric. It was true. Vera was all the time clinging to her and, even if it was a bit demanding sometimes, she loved it. Her child had grown up deprived of kind and gentle touches, so she was determined to make it up for all those years.

Steve squeezed her shoulder softly, pulling her into a hug. She rested her head on his shoulder as her heart clenched painfully in her chest.

What if she had lost her daughter forever? She couldn't bear that thought. She had just found out about that precious child, and it had been wonderful months... But what if...?

"Nat" She pulled away from Steve to turn to Wanda.

Natasha was relieved to see her daughter standing right next to Wanda. The child's head was bowed down as if she didn't dare to look up. It looked as if the kid was waiting to be punished. Just the thought of it made the woman nauseous.

"Sweet girl" she called softly, Vera flinching slightly when she approached her.

She crouched down in front of the kid, hoping that it would look less intimidating than her standing up. But her daughter continued to avoid her gaze.

"Can you look at me?" She asked, waiting patiently for the child to do it. "Please."

Vera was hesitant to look at her, so she gently lifted her daughter's chin. The child seemed to be really unsure about staring at her, hunching forward in shame.

The moment her left hand cupped her daughter's face, the kid flinched, closing her eyes. Natasha stroked the young girl's cheek while wondering if her kid was truly scared of her.

"You're in a safe place, Vera" she reminded her child, whose hands were already forming fists. "Remember you can tell me what's wrong-"

"Scared" the ten-year-old murmured, her green eyes finally meeting her Mama's eyes.

"What got you scared?" Nat asked.

Vera took a shaky breath before answering, "Doctor."

Natasha nodded slightly. She understood perfectly where the fear came from. The kid had reasons to be scared.

"That's okay" she told the child when Vera looked down again. "These doctors won't hurt you. I know them. They've taken care of me before" she explained, wanting to ease the kid's nerves.

Vera looked over at Wanda before staring back at her Mama, nodding slightly. Natasha didn't know what Wanda had told the child to convince her to come back. But whatever the young woman had said, seemed to be working for the kid.

"Next time don't run, please" she caressed her daughter's face. "You scared me, baby."

The young girl trembled a little while whispering, "I'm sorry."

Nat's heart broke at how terrified the kid looked while talking. So, she just pulled her daughter into her arms, the kid pressing her face against the crook of her Mama's neck.

-/-

VERA'S P.O.V

Vera kept her face hidden in her Mama's shoulder. The rest of her head was covered by the hood of Yelena's hoodie, just so no one could see her features as they walked inside the building. Even Natasha was wearing a hoodie and sunglasses, trying to cover her face as much as possible.