First Kiss

Reader's father is a valued council member to King Thranduil and have had feelings for the king for a very long time. Turns out the king may just return those feelings.

Written from a sentence prompt on tumblr - it's the bold text.

───────────────────────────────────

It was Mereth Nuin Giliath and you were the most excited you had been in a long time as you readied yourself for the celebration that was to come. It was one of your favourite festivals and you could not wait for the night of dancing and feasting and singing that lay ahead.

The night passed in a beautiful blur of colours and laughter and exquisite wine. You had just finished twirling with a friend on the dancefloor before excusing yourself. You rushed out of the great doors of the hall and out into the night, seeking some fresh air. Your cheeks were flushed from the warmth of the hall and the alcohol courtsing through your veins. Leaning against a railing, you turned your gaze skyward and sighed contentedly.

"You looked to be enjoying yourself." Came the deep voice from somewhere behind, causing you to nearly jump right out of your own skin. Turning, your gaze fell upon the tall form of the Elvenking pacing carefully towards you.

Immediately dipping into a little bow as your eyes went wide at his appearance. You had seen him across the ballroom a few times but he was engaged in deep conversation with many different people as he always was at these kinds of events. "My Lord Thranduil!" You looked up, nodding quickly. "Oh, I--I was. I am! It is wonderful."

"Then why do I find you out here all alone, hm?" He questioned, moving to lean against the balcony himself, peering out at the view though it scarcely interested him as much as you standing beside him.

"I just need a moment to catch my breath, my lord." You explained, sending a little smile his way. "I seem to have imbibed a little too much wine."

No matter how many times you would come into contact with the king, he never failed to make you so uncontrollably nervous that it was downright embarrassing. It had to be obvious, you knew it, though ever the gentleman he had never drawn attention to it, never mocked you, looked down on you. You just thought he was... perfect. There was no other way to put it. King Thranduil had been the unwitting object of your affections for too many years for you to count. Your father was a prominent figure on his council, a trusted friend in truth, and so you had had a great many interactions with the king over the years. As awkward as you felt you could be around him, it never made in his presence any less thrilling.

"I hope you do not mind if I keep you company?" He inquired, glancing back over his shoulder towards the hall where the festival was still in full swing before he turned back to you and leaned in conspiratorily. "I am afraid that I tire of all the boring political small talk and would much rather hide out here with you."

You giggled at his tone, his words warming you even as you told yourself it meant nothing, following his lean as you whispered back. "Do not worry, my lord. I will not tell a soul."

Thranduil grinned as he leaned back and you did your best not to mourn the loss of his closeness. You went quiet, studying him for a few moments, though did your best not to be overly obvious about it. His crown was sitting atop his head and he was clad in a perfectly fitted green and gold brocade tunic, a matching robe, and his favourite boots over plain breeches. Your eyes followed the wave of his fair hair over his broad shoulders, wondering what it would be like to run your fingers through it.

However, when you lifted your gaze to his face, you found that he was already watching you and probably had been the entire time. There was a kind smile on his face but you felt mortified nonetheless, turning your head to look back out at the view, biting your lip. Oh, Valar, you could have burst into tears of embarrassment right there and then!

Thranduil shifted beside you, his hand coming into view as he gently tilted your chin towards him with a finger, urging you to look back at him. "Do not be ashamed." He murmured, gaze roaming across your face for a long moment before he spoke again. "I fear, my lady, my motives for leaving the party are not entirely as pure as I made them out to be."

You were pretty sure that your face was bright red at this point but you dare not look away in case you upset him by defying him. Not that he had actually given you a direct order to look at him but still... your mind was all over the place. "Wh--what do you mean, my lord?"

His finger was still under your chin and you gasped a little when his thumb came into contact with your mouth, gently brushing across your lower lip. The two of you stood like that for a long moment, just sort of looking back at each other, as you tried to calm your now reeling mind.

"But..." You breathed, a soft frown clouding your expression as your gaze briefly dropped from his face to the collar of his tunic. "I have never kissed anybody before." The admission slipped from your mouth before you could even think about it, cheeks immediately heating up once more when you realised what you had said. First of all, he hadn't actually said that he wanted to kiss you, what if you had simply misunderstood?! Secondly, it just felt embarrassing to say it out loud to him, though you were not sure why exactly.

Thranduil didn't speak for a moment, he simply looked back at you, studying your face like he was committing you to memory. You really started to think that you had misunderstood and he was trying to decide how to let you down easy, when he finally spoke again.

"I see. Well, if that is the case, my lady..." Thranduil's perfect mouth curled into a devastating smirk as he gazed back at you. "...I can show you how it works."

If you had still been drinking, there was no doubt that you would have choked on it. Your gaze snapped back up to his face again, wondering if this was some kind of joke or if you had started hallucinating all of a sudden. Your tongue flicked out over your lower lip as you did your best to calm yourself, doing your utmost to stop your whole body shaking as you looked at him, up into the eyes of the king, which were full of gentle humour as he looked down at you. He did not look like he was playing with you. Yes he looked amused but he also looked kind. His gaze dropped to your mouth when your tongue flicked out and you realised, to your absolute horror, he had not yet moved his thumb and you had just licked it!

You immediately began to stammer out an apology, trying to jump back away from him in pure mortification, but Thranduil gently reached for your wrist and tugged you back to him, shaking with soft laughter as his other hand moved to your waist. The fingers around your wrist released you and returned to your chin, tilting your face gently so you were looking at him again.

"Do not be ashamed." He whispered, echoing his earlier sentiment as he leaned in, closing the now minute distance between the two of you, and pressed his lips to yours in the sweetest kiss you could ever have imagined. Your lashes fluttered as your eyes closed and you practically melted into him. If it hadn't been for him supporting your waist, your legs might have completely just given out beneath you.

He kissed you a few more times this way before, when he felt no resistance, he started to kiss you a little harder and began to silently ask for entry into your mouth. You were not sure what to do but when he, sensing this, nipped at your lower lip, you gasped and he took the opportunity to slip his tongue into your mouth. The new sensation overwhelmed you but it was not horrible and, as his tongue sought out yours, you found that you enjoyed the dance.

You became a little bolder, following his lead but feeling a little more confident when he seemed to enjoy kissing you. When you heard something close to a low growl rumbling in his chest, you moved, pushing yourself closer to him, fingers clutching the fabric of his tunic. He seemed to like this if the way he grabbed your hips with both hands and pressed you back against the nearest pillar, deepening the kiss hungrily, was anything to go by.

You had no way to gauge the time that had passed until he finally pulled back and broke the kiss. You opened your eyes, trying to hold in the whine that you felt bubbling up at the loss. You didn't quite manage and your disappointment was plain to see on your face as he smirked softly down at you.

"Do not worry, my darling." He whispered, reaching up to brush a stray wisp of hair back into place. "This is only the beginning."