Little Birdie Told Me

My back rested against a large tree that was in the back of the compound. Music playing through my earphones, I closed my eyes and relaxed. One inhale after another I breathed in the scent of nature around me.

I couldn't shut my mind off. My mind was racing. Laswell had subtly been trying to recruit me for a couple of days. I always averted the conversation or changed the subject. I spent almost 10 years in the military, and I didn't want to go back. Especially because of why I left. 

I had proven my skill hadn't rubbed off. It was almost obvious what I was doing in my newfound free time. She could see that I was only increasing my talents and physical fitness. She wanted to get me away from the life that I had created for myself. She had not-so-subtly told me. I got used to the blood on my hands and honestly, it didn't bother me anymore. 

I sighed and looked up at the sky. A couple of clouds of random shapes. As a kid, you'd stare up and imagine what specific shapes or animals they were making. Now, all I see is a cloud. The light of the game is gone. 

I stared at my burner phone. Contracts pop up whenever they are offered to me. It sometimes would take a few days before the next call would come. I turned in the hit for my last job this morning. It wouldn't be long before the next one.

"Hey, Cam!" Soap was walking up from the side of the closest building. I unplugged my headphones and smiled politely up at him. "How's it going?"

"Good, uh just waiting for the word." I motioned down to the phone. He seemed to understand. 

"Ah, impatiently waiting."

"Exactly. How are you?" I tried to swerve the conversation away from what I do for work.

"Good, just got done packing, getting ready to ship out in the morning." I nodded.

The thought of Ghost slipped into my mind. I would probably never see the man again, but a part of me wanted to. Whenever he was in the room it just pulls my focus, even when he was not around I found my thoughts wandering. 

"You guys going far?"

"Mexico." Bile rose in my throat. I hated Mexico. I was deployed to help with the crime rate in certain cities. My brother was assigned to the same task force. He ended up not making it out of the mission. Ever since then, I've refused. 

"You've ever been?" Soap asked.

"Twice, neither of which was a great experience," I spoke.

"There's a drug Lord in Las Almas we're going after..." Just before he spoke my phone buzzed. 

"EL SIN NOMBRE"
Las Almas, Mexico

"El Sin Nombre." Soap finished. I nodded as if nothing had happened. It seems as if the cards in my hand were laughing at me. My next mission would be alongside Task 141. Only because we shared the same goal. The hit. That's what I was focused on, that's what I trained myself to do. Focus on the hit. No side missions. No feelings. No attachments. That's how I lived now.

Where's Ghost? What?

Why did my mind wander to him? I glanced over at Soap who had begun fiddling in his pockets. He seemed to have lost something. He suddenly stopped rummaging, he had found what he was looking for. Emerging from his pocket was a slightly crumpled piece of paper. 

"This is for you." He reached the piece of paper down to me and I hesitantly accepted it. "Hope to see you again." Soap waved as he walked away as if he hadn't just confused the hell out of me. 

I scanned the piece of paper in my hands before opening it.

Find me across the hall tonight. I would like to see you.

-Ghost

My mind flashed to images of him. Watching him work was indulgent. It was like a sweet sin to me. He was smooth with his fight and movements. The one thing I could admit, I couldn't look away. It was a train wreck, but I loved it so much.

Images of him working out leaked into my mind. His muscles swelled and pulled. Beads of sweat ran down his back. He still wore his mask though.

Oh god, that mask. Something about that mask made my stomach swirl. The way his eyes would pierce through you. Chills you to the bone. It excited me.

I felt my panties wetten as my thoughts ran darker. I want to see you. My core ached as he said it to me, but only in my head though. I shook my head and got up probably faster than I should have. 

I need a shower. I plugged my buds back in and began my walk back to the room.  The facility always had a hum to it. I passed through the halls. Always someone talking and moving. 

I entered my room, closing and locking the door behind me. Taking my buds out and placing them on my bed. I looked into my bag trying to find something halfway clean. A black pair of leggings revealed themselves at the bottom of the bag. Alongside a sweatshirt. Perfect.

I gathered everything up and made my way into the bathroom. Starting the shower, I let the water turn warm and then hot on my skin. I let the water run down my scalp, down my back. Washing my hair and rinsing it thoroughly, I stared at the white tile of the shower. 

I wash my skin, trying for the millionth time to rid of the blood and gore that I have lived through. No matter what, as I turn the water off and stare at my hands, they will always be bloodied. 

Toweling off, I got dressed and brushed my teeth. With a once over in the mirror I decided I looked decent enough to present myself to the great noble Ghost. I chuckled to myself as I walked out of the bathroom. I grabbed my buds and started shuffling through my playlist. 

I bobbed my head to whatever came on and walked out the door and took a good breath before turning and looking at the adjacent door. My heart skipped a beat. A few steps forward, I find myself hesitant. Raising my fist. I knock slowly. Only twice. Three seems a bit much.

My focus is pulled to what I was actually listening to. My hands fumble for the device to stop the tune or skip it. The music stops as the door swings open and my eyes meet Ghosts.

We stared at each other for a moment. A shy smile crept up my lips. 

"Hi," I spoke breaking the silence. He slowly opened the door for me and I shuffled in. The silent treatment already? It was making me uneasy already. I was gonna get murdered tonight. Looking around it was almost identical to the room that I was staying in.

"I didn't think you'd come." Ghost spoke flatly.

I turned around to him and locked eyes with him. My stomach flipped. "Suprise." I waved my hands a bit. His mask twitched again. Progress.