Someone was dead. The sound of the body hitting the ground, no screams of pain. Someone was dead. Y/N had no clue who, had no clue what he would tell Clem. Y/N's lip quivered, only momentarily, before he buried it down deep. He had to focus on the important task at hand, finding his Clemmy.

He knew he had to do something quickly, to fight off the effects of exhaustion, fatigue and hunger induced weakness. He pulled a crumpled packet of smokes from his pocket.

He had first smoked when he was about seven, finding a pack in his house one morning after a pretty wild Savage Son party. He didn't do it often but found it relaxed him.

He wanted the opposite reaction this morning though. He lit up the last cigarette in the packet, took a couple of drags, before jamming it into the back of his hand.

 He lit up the last cigarette in the packet, took a couple of drags, before jamming it into the back of his hand

He winced and grunted in pain. Burns were the worst pain. He would take cutting over burning any day of the week. It had the desired effect though, snapping him instantly from his drowsiness. He was wide awake again and sat focused, waiting for the sun to rise.

—~—

Clementine continued walking down the path before she came up to a small clearing. She stopped in her tracks, seeing a dog in front of her, sniffing along the ground.

 She stopped in her tracks, seeing a dog in front of her, sniffing along the ground

The dog looked up, the fur raising on its neck as it bared it's teeth and growled.

"Good dog. Good dog" Clementine said with her hands up, backing up in fear. At the sound of Clementine's voice the dog switched, it's fur lowering as it's tail wagged.

Clementine apprehensively held her hand out, exhaling in relief as the dog sniffed and then licked.

She patted the dog and read the small tag on his collar.

"Sam? Nice to meet you Sam" she said happily.

Sam ran off forward and Clem called out before running after him, arriving at an overrun camp site. There was a van, destroyed tents and other possessions.

"Looks pretty overrun but you can never tell" Clementine said as she pulled her pocket knife from her pocket. It was one of the first things Y/N had ever given her and she still treasure it. She was extremely relieved it wasn't in her backpack she had been forced to leave at camp.

She suddenly thought back- Y/N, Lee, Carley, Christa. Tears fell from her eyes that were quickly wiped away as she cleared her throat. She smiled at the dog, who wagged its tail as she said:

"Let's find some food hey, Sam?"

—~—

Y/N had been walking along the river bed for close to two hours since daybreak, looking for any sign, any slight trace of a track when his heart suddenly leapt into his throat.

He could see clear as day an indentation, followed by footsteps leading to an old path.

They were clear footprints, small- too small for an adult, and they were clear, distinct, no sign of the shuffle marks left by walkers.

She was alive!

Y/N raced forward, a rush of adrenaline shooting through his body. Clem was alive!

—~—

Clementine sat down on a log with a tin of beans she had managed to find at the ruined campsite. Sam wagged his tail in excitement as Clem stabbed the lid of the tin with her knife, giggling in relief at the beans not being rancid. She eagerly began to chow down before stopping, hearing Sam whimpering. She looked down into his puppy dog eyes and relented, asking:

"You want some too, Sam?"

The dog trotted on the spot, barking excitedly as Clementine lowered the tin to drop some out. Sam rushed forward, knocking the tin out of Clementine's hands as he began to scoff.

"Hey, don't eat it all!" Clementine said angrily as she snatched the can back.

Sam growled and snarled and leapt to attack as Clementine flinched, feeling pain as she fell to the ground behind her.