Seduced by Passion - Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

Fitzroy got full access to his trust fund the same year their father died. And in addition to wrecking JBR over the five years he was in control, he blew all of his money on sports cars, women, liquor, drugs, and lavish vacations. Xio had found the cars to be the biggest waste of money since there was nowhere to go on their small island. When his trust fund ran out and his opportunistic friends started deserting him, he sold the fifty acres of land their father had gifted him at birth to keep them around for a few more months.

When Xio returned from Princeton to take over JBR, like their father had intended, she'd had to spend two years fighting with Fitzroy to step down. He'd finally named his price to not only vacate his position, but to also leave the island to get out of her hair.

Xio had weighed the options of parting with the family business, or with the fifty acres of land she had also inherited upon her birth. In the end, she had chosen to sell her land.

It had been four years of uphill battles, but she had managed to place JBR back on the Caribbean's twenty best resorts chart, and she was determined to make it number-one again. All departments were performing above expectation and projections, and the senior managers who'd been skeptical of her ability to make JBR a success again were finally giving her the praise she deserved.

Xio credited most of the income to The Davenport, a five-bedroom luxury villa set on nine acres of flowering gardens, orchards, and a dense forest with private stables and paths that led to a beach studded with royal palm trees. The villa was a sanctuary within Jewel Beach Resort, and with its own dedicated staff, two swimming pools, a spa, and an unbeatable view of the bay in Anacaona, Akilina's main city, The Davenport brought in $20,000 per night. Hiring a new marketing team when she first regained control of JBR was one of the best decisions Xio had made, and with their social media savvy, they had made The Davenport one of the most sought-after stays in the Caribbean.

"Ms. Davenport!"

Xio turned to see a gray, curly-haired couple waving enthusiastically from a sofa.

She hurried over, her mouth split in a wide grin. "Mr. and Mrs. McGregor. How are you?" she asked, sitting down on the chair across from them.

"A little sad, you might expect," Mrs. McGregor said. "We don't want to leave."

"I feel your pain." Xio placed her palm against her heart. It was moments like these she appreciated. "It's been a pleasure having you with us."

"The pleasure was all ours, Ms. Davenport." Mr. McGregor smiled. "I'll be telling all my friends back in Burlington about your little treasure of an island, and the exceptional service and staff here. You surpassed our expectations in every way."

Xio was beaming. It was exactly what she needed to hear.

Mrs. McGregor chimed in. "We try to take a trip at least twice a year since we retired. We've been all over the world, but this," she said, sweeping her hands around the lobby, "this is one of the best vacations we've had."

"I'm glad to hear. The best is what we aim for."

"You've got it," Mr. McGregor winked at her.

"I think the Thursday night bonfires on the beach were our favorite. They made us feel young again. Didn't they, dear?" Mrs. McGregor gave her husband a coy smile.

When he blushed, it left no doubt in Xio's mind what she meant.

"The nights are so magical here," Mrs. McGregor added.

They certainly are, Xio thought, recalling watching the couple dancing around the flames to the rhythm of the live steelpan band.

"It's Thursday. Maybe we should stay one more night," Mr. McGregor teased his wife and pulled her against him, kissing the top of her curly hair.