Love

"Japeth, do you love anyone?"

He smirks. His blue eyes sparkle as he sits on the chair in front of me.

We are in the kitchen, and it is almost the middle of the night.

The kitchen of the Camelot castle looks surprisingly hollow at that time. Japeth stuffs in his mouth a piece of muffin. He slowly chews it, thinking about his answer. Maybe this was the moment!

"I love my mother, and I can't say I hate Tedros and Rhian. They're my brothers, after all." Yeah. I was expecting that. Not the answer I wanted to receive. "What's up with this question, Aric?"

I don't know what to say. I just look at him and laugh.

"You can't love your mother romantically," I finally manage to find my words. "You have to have a special someone, right?"

"No. I don't. Do you like anyone?"

He's blushing. He's blushing. Oh, my! I try not to scream. This is my chance.

"I do like someone. But first, you have to admit you do, too."

"Fine. He has black hair."

I have black hair! I have to say something, too. It's going better than I expected.

"OK, so he's King Arthur's son, and he has blue eyes."

Japeth squeaks and points at me. He smirks even wider as he asks:

"You like Tedros?"

That took an unexpected turn. I'd rather die than even say his name, but I smile and nod.

"That's awesome! I like Kei!"

At that moment, the whole world shatters before my eyes, but I still smile.

He probably gets it because he smiles, too, and hugs me. Something he never did before. I look up at him; he leans, and...

Yes. Yes, it happens.

"I'm just joking. I hate Kei. And he's my brother's boyfriend. And, now, I assume you're mine, right?"

I'm not able to say anything, but I can feel my face burning. Japeth notices it quickly and kisses me one more time.

And that's how our night ends: us slowly dancing to a song only we can hear, while the daylight barely bleeds through the windows.

This is the third time when it happens this year, but it isn't less romantic than the first time. I just wish Japeth didn't forget things so easily...