Chapter 11

The next morning Selea found her way down the hall to Sotha Sil's bedroom. The door was cracked open and she knocked on it.

"Come in."

She pushed the door the rest of the way open and was taken aback by what she saw. There standing before a mirror with his back to her was Sil. But she couldn't believe what a difference the outfit he'd chosen made. Instead of a robe he chose the jack and leggings. It showed off his long legs and long torso, both of which made him the tall creature he was. He was still barefoot—not a surprise to her. She wouldn't want to put shoes on if she'd been barefoot as long as he had either. But something about seeing him in the more form fitting clothes took her breath away.

He hadn't seen her yet—his own body blocked his view of her through the mirror.

"Good morning," she said. "How do you like your new clothes? I see you chose the—" She stopped when he turned towards her and his eyes went a bit wide. "What?" She glanced down. "Oh—do you not like it? I could—"

"I am sorry, Selea. I—you misunderstand my facial expression." He said as he stepped towards her. Once directly in front of her he reached for her hand and held it up to his lips. "You are... beautiful."

She blushed as he looked over her again. "This color reminded me of the color of your sash you wore with your robes. I suppose it was a bit sentimental to choose the color based on that."

"It pleases me that in matters that might be considered mundane, I come to your mind. It is the same with you, for me. As I looked at myself in the mirror, I considered that the shade of green of this tunic reminded me of your eyes."

Her heart thought it might burst. "I don't know if I'll ever grow accustomed to such sweet words from you, Sil. They make my heart so happy."

"As do yours, me." He said as he gazed down at her. After a moment he took a step back and held his arms out. "What is your opinion of this combination of clothing?"

"I think you look dashing. It's quite shocking to see you in something other than your white robe. It will take getting used to, but it is certainly not unpleasant. And my dress?"

"I believe I made my opinion of your dress quite clear," he said, a small smile on his face.

*****

Sil was out in his garden. Since they'd come to the Psijic Villa, he'd come to love spending time there. He'd found an interest in studying the plants that were already growing there, as well as having new ones brought in to add to it. Cecila sat on the veranda, leaned back and reading a book. She was so deeply involved, she hadn't realized he'd approached till she heard her name.

"Se-Selea," he gasped.

Her head jerked up. She'd never heard his voice sound so... weak. Shock immediately registered on her face as she jumped up and ran to him, "Sil, what's wrong? What is it? Come, sit down."

She slid herself to his side and worked her arm around his waist. He put his arm on her shoulder and leaned into her as she walked him the few remaining steps to the couch she'd been stretched out on.

He eased himself down onto the seat and she sat close beside him, eyeing him carefully and full of concern.

"I... I think it's done. I think... Alma...lexia... she's... she's done it." He gasped out as he worked to breathe.

"You mean, you're—"

"Mortal. Yes."

"Are you alright? Are you—" She couldn't bring herself to finish her thought.

"Dying? No. I don't think so. Well, not just this moment. We've discussed before—we are all dying. I just... had the breath knocked out of me, as it were."