Potentially Triggering

Start from the beginning

"Are you alright?" I murmured to my brother, his clenched fists sending off more alarm bells.

"Of course," He huffed out a sigh, "Just a bit antsy."

"How unlike you," I teased, peering around him to see how my sister was doing.

Her smile was real this time as she talked to Aslin. Most of the words I couldn't make out, but I did hear something that sounded like growth. Azrael leaned closer to his mate, murmuring in her ear. Her pretty face went red, pupils dilating. She began scolding him just as plates overflowing with food were placed in front of us.

I glanced over at Knox who was handed his plate by a female with trembling hands. Her face heated as though warmed by the fire in his eyes when he looked at her. My chest tightened with emotion, something similar to the fear that usually plagued it, but darker. The beast that prowled beneath the human facade snarled when she smiled at Knox.

"Thank you," I gritted out, snapping the other female out of whatever hold those molten eyes had on her.

"Of course, princess." She tilted her head to the side before quickly rushing into the crowd.

"Easy." Killian muttered, "You look like you want to burn holes in her."

I snorted, turning back to Knox who was taking his first bite, "How is it?"

He chewed slowly, still looking annoyed with being so close to me, "It's fine. Just a little..."

"A little what?" I frowned, turning towards my own plate.

"It's nothing." He shrugged his broad shoulders, "Just not what I'm used to."

"I see." My stomach rolled, physically rejecting being around so many people in such a tense situation.

My gaze drifted as I picked at my plate, heading right towards the dark male beside me. Try as I might I felt drawn to him, maybe it was the mystery he was shrouded in. Or it could be that on some primal level I wanted him, something my subconscious had no issue picking up on and twisting it into a new horror show.

"Maeve," Killian's voice pulled me out of my thoughts, and I quickly turned towards him, my cheeks reddening. "I think Az and Aslin are ready to get out of here."

"Already?" I frowned, trying to remember how much time had passed.

"We have been sitting here for over an hour." He smirked, "What were you so distracted with?"

"My boredom." I twisted towards my brother, "Do you think Rasten will leave any time soon?"

I felt it then. The exact moment he noticed the exposed back of my dress and then the scar that spread across the right side of it. Awareness of being watched by a predator spread, raising the hair on the back of my neck, goosebumps spreading across my arms.

"Doubtful," Killian muttered, peering over at where the king sat, bombarding Aldon with questions.

"Should one of us try to save them?" I joked, attempting to cover the uncomfortableness of being watched by someone so closely.

"Once people start dancing you and Fia should go ask them to dance." Killian suggested, drawing our younger sister's attention.

"Who is Fia asking to dance?" She raised a brow, innocent doe eyes in full force.

"Either Aldon or Izaak." I supplied helpfully, "We don't need to ask Knox because he was the only one spared."

Fia nodded sagely, her lips pursed together, "A very lucky fate indeed."

"How did you manage that anyway?"

I turned back to the dark male, leaning back towards my brother when I saw that flames were literally flickering in his eyes. Red and orange spread and devoured like wildfire, taking over his entirety of his eyes. Fear and curiosity waged a heated war inside of me. The result was trembling hands and sweaty palms even as I resisted the urge to lean closer and examine the change.