No Sweet Without Sweat

[Y/n] and Rei sat on the bench together as they watched Miri run around the playground. She was training for her upcoming field day race at the daycare. Kazuki was timing her. "Keep it up, Miri!" He cheered.

"You can do this!" [Y/n] cheered with him.

Miri finished near Kazuki. "Goal!" He cheered and looked at the time, "Awesome work, Miri! It's a new record!"

Miri's eyes sparkled. "Hooray!" She jumped and cheered.

"You'll win that field day race for sure." Kazuki said.

"Yeah!"

Rei grabbed a towel. "Well done." He said, handing it to Miri.

[Y/n] smiled. He's beginning to act more like a father in his own little way. "C'mon, man, show a little more enthusiasm!" Kazuki complained, "You saw how hard Miri was practicing, right?"

"It's not like I'm the one running." Rei said.

"Have a heart! It's our job to advise her and get excited on her behalf." Kazuki said.

"Yeah. We have to encourage her and make sure she does her best." [Y/n] said in agreement.

Rei thought for a moment. "Swift running requires efficient training of the musculi trunci of hip joint and of the hamstrings. The posterior muscle groups beginning with the femorals can be amplified with squats--"

"Okay, okay." [Y/n] interrupted.

"Yeah, forget it." Kazuki said.

"I wanna practice more!" Miri cheered.

"Eh? You sure you're not overdoing it?" Kazuki said.

Miri handed Kazuki her towel. "I gotta get that gold medal!" She said and ran off.

"That's the spirit, Miri!" Kazuki said.

"If you get tired, take a break, okay!" [Y/n] called out to Miri.

"Okay!" Miri shouted back. Once she was ready, "I'm starting now, Papa!"

"Okay, on your mark! Get set! Start!" Miri ran towards them. After running around for the day, the assassins and Miri went to visit Kyutaro and told him all about Miri's training for field day.

"Field day?" Kyutaro questioned.

"It's this Sunday." [Y/n] said with a smile with Miri sitting her lap.

"We were practicing for the race together." Kazuki said.

"I ran so much!" Miri said.

"You've got grit, just like me!" Kazuki said, patting her head.

"Just like who?" Rei questioned.

"Like me!" Kazuki said, and Rei glared at him. "Quit glaring at me like that."

"No, she gets her strength from me!" [Y/n] cheered and nuzzled her face against Miri's cheek. Miri giggled. "I'm fast right, Miri?"

Miri nodded, "Mama [Y/n] is super-fast!"

"Never thought I'd see the three of you going along with a kid's event." Kyutaro said.

"Come watch her, Kyu-chan!" Kazuki said.

"Yeah, she'll do great, come on!" [Y/n] said.

"I'm afraid I can't." Kyutaro said, and [Y/n] pouted. "Boo." She muttered. Kyutaro placed a cup of tea in front of [Y/n]. "Just how you like it." He said, and [Y/n] grumbled while Kyutaro still smiled at her.

Their interaction irked Rei a little bit. 'If I wasn't hopefully in love with Rei, Kyu-chan would have been my second option.' Rei remembered what [Y/n] said on one of their missions.