✯ THREE

Things went relatively smoothly the next morning

Things went relatively smoothly the next morning. It put Ahram on edge.

There was no Jeonghyeon in the hallway to smirk at her during the passing period. No Jeonghyeon in the lunchroom to throw fries at her. He didn't even sit near her in their shared maths class and ignored all her attempts to make eye contact.

When their instructor dismissed the class, Ahram jumped out of her seat as if it burned her and ran down the rows after Jeonghyeon. He pretended not to hear her when she called his name, making her run to catch up with his pace.

Finally, she grabbed hold of his arm and pulled until he stopped and faced her. Her nostrils flared, chest heaving from the effort of having to physically chase him. "This wasn't part of the plan," she managed to say through her heavy breathing.

His expression remained blank for a moment more before shifting into its usual grin. "Aw, Acorn. It's only been one day and you already miss me."

"What?" Ahram scoffed with a roll of her eyes. "No. We made a deal that we'd pretend to get along in front of Yena and Junghyun."

Jeonghyeon's eyes pulled away from her face to glance around the emptying hallway. "Looks to me like they aren't here, Acorn." Then he paused, gaze returning to her face and grin growing. "But I really like how you're still holding my arm. Very friendly."

Ahram looked down to see that he was right. Her hand was still holding him firm. She pulled back so fast, his arm suddenly a hot iron. "Whatever. I don't trust you enough not to leave when I'm talking—what, hey!"

But Jeonghyeon was already turning the corner. "Guess you were right. Sorry!" He called once he was out of sight. Ahram didn't have the energy to chase after him again.

However, when Ahram finally did reach the corner, Jeonghyeon was leaning against it, waiting for her. She huffed and swatted at him when he moved to ruffle her hair. "See? You should start trusting me more if we're meant to be friends."

"God, you're so infuriating, you stupid Chameleon."

"You love it." He was grinning in a way that begged Ahram to smile with him, but she kept her lips in check. "Whatever. You're right, Yena and Junghyun aren't here. No reason to pretend we like each other."

She shifted to move past him, and Jeonghyeon didn't reach out to stop her. Instead, opened his mouth. "Have lunch with me."

Ahram felt the blood in her veins freeze. "Huh?"

"No actually," he corrected as he stepped into her view. "Just in case Munjung decides to join me today. He usually sits with me on Thursdays."

"... It's Wednesday."

"If you don't want to sit with me, just say so!"

Ahram rolled her eyes and let out a dry chuckle. "Fine, okay. Only because Yena might sneak up on me today, got it? I have no problem leaving you to eat by yourself."

But Jeonghyeon was already flashing that winners smile at her as if he once again beat her. "I'm serious, you Chameleon!" Ahram said as her face flushed. "I'm not above ditching you!"

To Ahram's dismay, either Junghyun nor Yena interrupted their lunching that day.

It was Ahram's pride that kept her seated at a table in the lobby of one of the university buildings, her nemesis sitting peacefully across from her. She couldn't understand how he could act so indifferent when she knew he hated this as much as she did. Maybe he was using his love of making her angry to push through.

Ahram didn't have much of an appetite with Jeonghyeon's hooded eyes locked on her. She knew he was trying to get a rise out of her, to see if she'd break and be the first to leave the table, but she didn't. Eventually, though, she gave up the idea of food all together.

"You're not eating?" The creep across from her asked when he noticed her shoving the sandwich back into her bag. Ahram didn't miss a beat before replying with a curt, "Not hungry."

She did, however, miss the way Jeonghyeon's shoulders sagged a bit before sliding a small package of fruit snacks her way. "Come on, eat something."

"I can't when you're just sitting there staring at me." Her nostrils flared as she said it. He knew why she was uncomfortable, and the fact that he asked made her want to throw her sandwich at him.

"Fine," he shrugged nonchalantly. "I'll look over here." Jeonghyeon turned his head to the left, away from Ahram, as he continued eating his lunch. She almost smiled at how dumb he looked trying to eat with the rest of his body still facing her.

It was fun watching him struggle to keep this up, but after a few minutes, Ahram let out a sigh. "You don't have to do that, just... don't look at me."

Jeonghyeon instantly faced forward. "Ugly eater or something? Afraid you'll embarrass yourself in front of me, Acorn?" His stupid grin returned and Ahram rolled her eyes as she reached across the table to grab the fruit snacks he'd offered.

"No. Looking at your face makes me nauseous. It's not easy to have an appetite while being nauseous, right, Chameleon?"

He grumbled something she couldn't understand before going back to his meal, never looking up to meet her gaze for the rest of their lunch.

•a bit short today but hi

a bit short today but hi