Adam always ended any disagreement that he might have had with Perrie, or any one of her siblings, by telling them that they were loved. Perrie never worried that her father was truly angry with her, because she knew that he still loved her.

It was a security that Perrie realised that she had never appreciated until now. "I love you, Papa," she whispered against him.

Adam's arms enveloped Perrie, and she felt him kiss the top of her head. "You have no idea how much I love you, and that is why you terrify me, Perrie. Stop it, please."

"Are you still going to send me to a convent?" Perrie mumbled against her father's lapel.

"I'm thinking about it," Adam murmured in reply. "I think a habit would suit you splendidly."

"Don't joke, Papa. You are not at all funny," Perrie groaned. "You must solicit Uncle Jack's advice if you want to attempt humour."

Adam chuckled quietly, but his arms tightened. "I know your uncle would agree with me on this."

Perrie pulled away as she sucked in a deep breath, before she looked up into her father's eyes. "I am sorry, Papa. I didn't ask because I knew you wouldn't let me. I thought it wiser to ask for forgiveness after the fact."

"Wiser?" Adam repeated bluntly as his eyebrows rose.

"Easier," Perrie corrected.

"Hmm." Adam then shooed Perrie on once again, and she nodded as she turned around. "I will see how forgiving I am feeling later."

As Perrie set foot on the landing, something large on her left caught her attention. The moment she focussed on it, she saw that a man had collapsed on the rug before the banister. The sight gave Perrie such a shock that she froze on the spot, and her sudden change in movement elicited her father's immediate concern.

When Adam noticed what Perrie had reacted to, he, as well, gasped.

Perrie could not see the man's face, but she immediately recognised his blond, floppy hair. It could have been either one of the twins, but Perrie immediately felt it in her bones that it was Joe.

"Joe!" she cried, her legs propelling her into a run before she realised what she was doing. She reached him in seconds and Perrie threw herself to the ground beside him, gripping hold of his large shoulder and wrenching him forwards so that he rolled onto his back.

It was him. She knew it was him. His eyes were closed, but she knew it. Perrie cupped his face in her hands and gently shook his head. He looked exhausted and like he carried the weight of the world. He looked like her could hardly bear it anymore, and that was one of the reasons for her certainty.

Behind her, Adam shouted down to the footmen who were carrying Perrie's possessions inside and demanded that they alert the butler of Mr Parish's condition and that a doctor needed to be summoned immediately.

"Joe!"

Perrie heard Ed's voice come from the corridor ahead of her, followed by the sounds of his hurried running to get to their position. He fell to his knees on the opposite side of his brother and placed his hands helplessly on Joe's chest.

"Oh, God, please," Ed prayed under his breath. "This is my fault. It must be me and not him. I am the damned one."

Perrie could hardly focus on what Ed was uttering as her panic overcame her. "Wake up!" she demanded, her voice thick with emotion. "You are only allowed to die if it is me killing you!"

Perrie lowered her head to Joe's chest and said her own prayer of thanks when she heard the steady hum of his heartbeat.

"You keep threatening to drown me and you never do it. You are all mouth and no trousers, Little Imp."