Chapter 16

"Hey Dolohov." Remus said quietly as he sat down across from her in the library. 

"Hello Lupin...?" 

"Uh the other tables were full." 

Emerald glanced around and spotted two empty tables. "If you say so..." 

"I just wanted to ask you about the Runes homework. I'm not sure what we're supposed to do." 

Emerald's face cleared up a bit and she nodded. "Okay well, you have to come up with five different uses for the fire rune and write three sentences explaining each choice." 

Remus nodded in understanding. "Oh alright. Makes sense." 

Emerald nodded to him and went back to her book. 

Remus floundered for a topic. "Uhm... are you feeling better? Three months, huh?" 

Emerald glanced up and shrugged. "I feel fine. Nobody will tell me what happened though. Lucinda thinks it's the funniest thing since Potter's Wand Catastrophe of 1972." 

"You still remember that?" Remus winced. 

"Everyone remembers that." 

"Do you have any memories? Like at all?" 

"Something about Tales of the Beedle and the Bard but that's probably just my mind trying to give me something." Emerald yawned. 

Remus swallowed nervously. "Random thing to remember." 

Emerald's eyes narrowed instantly. "So it did happen?" 

Remus coughed. "What?" 

"You said it was a random thing to remember which implies it did actually happen and you probably had something to do with it." 

"Maybe I did." Remus shrugged, leaning back in his chair. 

Emerald leaned forward. "Are you going to tell me what happened?" 

"We're supposed to make you remember not just tell you straight up." 

"We?" 

"Nu uh you get to know that when you remember." 

"Here you are darling." Lucinda came around the corner. "Oh hello Lupin." 

"Malfoy." 

"Lupin was just telling me about the past few months." 

"He was, was he?" Lucinda placed a quick kiss on Emerald's temple and sat down. "Well do tell Lupin. I'm all ears." 

Remus drummed his fingers on the table. "Alright Dolohov. Meet me by the tapestry of Brunhilda the Boring tonight at nine and I'll explain." 

Lucinda raised a perfect brow as Emerald gave him a suspicious look. 

"Alright, Lupin. You've got yourself a deal." 

Remus nodded tightly and got to his feet. He was barely around the corner when he saw Lucinda lean over to whisper in Emerald's ear. 

---- 

"What does Lupin have to do with all this?" Emerald asked, laying her head in Mandy Greengrasses lap. 

"Don't fret, dear." Mandy said, examining her drying nails. "It gives you wrinkles." 

"Ha ha." Emerald said sarcastically. "Now can you just tell me?" 

Lucinda grasped Emerald's hand and began painting her nails. "It's more entertaining this way." 

"I'm glad you are enjoying my emotional turmoil." 

"You think too much, dear." Mandy twirled a strand of Emerald's hair around her finger. "Give yourself a break. You deserve it." 

"You sound like a therapist." Lucinda said wrinkling her nose. 

"I can't give myself a break." Emerald said. "I'm working hard. Working hard so I can please you." She pretended to lean up to kiss Mandy, who batted her away. 

"Watch my nails, you uncouth ruffian." 

"Rejection." Emerald said throwing herself down on the bed dramatically. "In the highest form. Is there someone else?" 

"Yes actually." Mandy sniffed. "And they ask for consent before kisses." 

Emerald put a hand to her heart and pretended to stumble. "Lucinda my love, save me." 

"You two sicken me." Lucinda said, dodging Emerald's hug. "Watch your nails or we'll have to start again." 

"Double rejection, by Merlin, this is not my day." Emerald sat down beside Mandy again and blew on her nails. 

"No, it seems not." Mandy said. 

"Cruel mistress accept my sincerest apology for my-" 

"Shut up and dry your nails." 

"Anarchy!" 

----