Chapter 102

The confidence stuck with me through the drive there but was soon forgotten after the briefing with Marc and George. My jaw dropped when I realized how insanely busy we were going to be all day. It was almost noon when our "briefing" was finally over. Everyone was given their jobs in great detail for the day except me. I waited for a mundane job like counting lightbulbs or something. When I thought my bosses had forgotten me, Marc locked eyes with me.

"Oh, and Rowan, listen we have a special job for you."

Everyone turned and looked at me and my cheeks turned red. My confidence from this morning was pretty much gone. I held my breath.

"You, my dear Rowan, will be going out and talking to the fans. We will be sending James with you to record the interviews and here are some VIP passes. You can give them out to the fans of your choosing."

My heart dropped. I wasn't expecting that. At all. The thoughts in my head were crashing into one another. Why me? Was Marc insane? Did the fans even like me? Was I marching to my death? I remember meeting the one fan awhile back getting my phone but that was only one and she was sweet but this? There were thousands of fans here and I wasn't so sure they would be as accommodating. Everyone was still looking at me and I quickly nodded. As people dispersed, I ran after Marc.

"Wait, wait, Marc. Listen, uh, do you think this is a good idea? I mean, I don't even know if these fans like me. And the only people I've interviewed was in college and it was usually a professor and there was only one of them. What if they riot or something? I am also dating the guy they all want to date..."

"Marsh and a few of his guys will be with you. Rowan, you will be fine. Besides, the fans will come to you. You just ask them if they are excited and who their favorite is and go from there. I wouldn't ask you to do this if I didn't think you could do it. When the fans see you, they will get excited and you will have a line of them waiting to talk to you. I will send Beth with you to make sure the fans are warned not to ask about Harry before they actually talk to you. Rowan, this is our pathos, our emotional connection to the audience. Fans like to see other fans and their reactions and their stories in these specials. You'll do great."

And with that, he was gone. I was standing in my own little world of still overlapping questions in my head.

"Hey, Rowan, we have to do some test shots."

I looked around for someone to tell me I wasn't the only one who thought this was crazy.

"Earth to Rowan."

Where was Marsh? I needed some reassurance here that I wasn't going to be stampeded on in about 30 seconds.

"Hey!" I was startled from my thoughts by someone shaking my arm.

"Shit, sorry James. Ok. Yea. Test shots."

I followed behind James but not when I felt another tug on my arm pulling me in another direction. "Is Marc crazy?!"

"Oh my God, thank you Beth. I thought I was the only one." I turned to see my coworker, Beth. Her brown eyes were wide and worried. I wasn't super close with her but our team wasn't that big. She had long, dyed bright lavender hair and she always wore black combat boots no matter the weather. "I-I am freaking out."

"Shit at least your bodyguard seems cool. I am sure he will take care of you but jeez, Marc is cool and all but he's literally sending you to the wolves."

I nodded in agreement. I stared off in space. I knew if I called Harry, he would freak out and tell Marc off but I didn't need Harry to bail me out. I knew when he found out, he was going to freak but this was my job and I had to do it. I took a deep breath and walked towards the impatiently waiting James. "Come on Beth. Let's do this."

"Wait, wait. Just to help," said Beth pulling out a tan, floppy hat. It was actually much like Harry's hats. I pulled it on over my long locks and slipped my sunglasses back on. At least I was sort of incognito now.

"Thanks."

We both now walked with James out into the small, guarded outside area. I spotted Marsh and his team. Marsh jogged towards me. "Is your boss insane?"

I shook my head. "I know. I mean, I guess I get it but still. Oh, could you also hold off telling Harry? He is going to be livid and I should be the one telling him." Marsh nodded in agreement.

Marsh explained that fans already knew someone was going to be handing out VIP passes so the air was already buzzing with noise. The concert wasn't set for another five hours but I heard familiar songs being sung by their fans bouncing off the walls. I took a deep breath and turned towards James who was playing with a wide angle lens camera set up on a tripod.

"So...should I just stand here or?"

"Yup. Just stand. I'm working with the lighting."

I awkwardly stood and waited for more instruction. After about ten minutes, James gave me a thumbs up as Beth came running back. I hadn't even noticed she was gone until now. "Ok, so Marc said the fans will be the only ones in the actual shot. Row, you're just asking them questions."

"Cool."

The next hour flew by before we had to start setting up. I watched from a distance as James, Marsh, and Beth set up the interview spot. I then saw at least 50 fans anxiously waiting to see what was going on. My heart fluttered. I really hope they didn't hate me. Maybe no one knew who I was over here. I could at least hope but I knew I was wrong. I played with the brim of the borrowed hat and waited for my cue. Would I get a cue? I swayed back and forth on my heels and wished I had worn flats considering I would probably be standing the whole time. Before I could contemplate another thought, Marsh joined me.

"Ready?"

"I guess. Please don't let me fall down or get stampeded."

Marsh laughed and guided me towards the lights, the camera, and the action.

(Comment and vote tons and I will update again when I am home later! What do you think will happen when Rowan interviews the fans?? xoxo)