Chapter Two

On the morning of June 1st, Marian joined the stream of vibrant red uniforms that materialized from within the rust-colored dwelling on Somerset. Her head churned like an angry beehive; all thought processes were discombobulated and adrenaline-ridden. A small canvas bag bounced limply against her hip as she tried to keep pace with her mother's long strides. The woman always seemed to be in a rush, which meant her words also tended to come out in a ramble. "Are you sure you have everything?" She urgently questioned over her shoulder as they dodged through the crowd, "I don't want you to have to run back for anything." It was a checklist they'd already gone over multiple times that morning.

Marian, who was nearly out of breath, gave an exhausted smile, "Yes, Mom. I put my identification and code of conduct in here this morning." She patted the canvas bag at her side.

There was a brief hiccup in Mrs. Wendall's step as the words formulated into meaning. She had forgotten all about the required conduct form, and a flicker of panic washed over her face. The woman exhaled in relief and quickly regained her stride, "Now, remember. I can't see you past security, so if you need help or if you get lost-."

Marian had mindlessly stopped listening as they turned onto the Circle's Center. Although the plaza was bustling with a patchwork of splashy-colored uniforms, the fleet of white academic buses was the only thing holding her attention. They were nearly hidden behind a screen of tall metal fencing, only a sliver of the aluminum rooftops visible over the barrier. The stench of exhaust fumes billowed into the sky around them. She breathed a deep lung full of air, and the odor provoked her nerves. They were actually there. Her limbs went rigid, immobile, as if she had fallen into a pool of glue. The crowd parted around her, annoyed but paying no mind to a child's actions.

"Did you forget something?" Her mother had regained her attention, impatiently glancing down at her dainty wristwatch. Marian shook her head and pushed forward, integrating herself back into the surge of obedient workers. Her eyes darted from side to side, from the sliver of white to the slick bun on the back of her mother's head, trying not to fall behind again.

As they reached the double doors of the District Command Center, Marian could already see that her mother wouldn't be able to wait with her. Behind the wall of glass panels stood a long line snaking its way through the reception area. It hadn't made a difference that they'd arrived early. Disappointment formed in the shape of deep lines between her brows. If her mother waited with her, she would be late for her shift at the hospital. Her family couldn't afford for that to happen.

By then, Mrs. Wendall had seen it too. The woman stood there quietly, gnawing on her lower lip. Marian guessed she was deciding if it was worth it. If she didn't wait, would that make her a bad mother? "You don't have to stay," Marian suggested, knowing it wasn't what she wanted, but it was the right decision.

After a long moment, her mother finally gave a silent nod, the apprehension barely traceable behind her facade. They had both promised not to make a big deal about today. "I'll be fine," she reassured her mother, stepping forward to wrap her arms around the woman's thin shoulders. They knew this was unlike any goodbye they had ever spoken. Marian was considered of age now. She would never live with her parents or be allowed into their home again. She might be assigned to a block near her family where she could see them at the market or in passing if lucky.

Her mother was the first to pull away, holding her at arm's length. "If you have time between your studies, your father and I would appreciate the occasional update," she beamed through watery eyes, brushing a loose strand of hair behind Marian's ear. The girl nodded, her bottom lip giving a slight tremble. She wouldn't allow herself to cry. Not here, not where she could be seen in front of the other contenders. In truth, she was terrified, but her mother was the only other person to know that. "Go on then. You don't want to miss your bus." Her mother tilted forward, kissing her on the cheek. Her lips lingered for just a second too long. Marian caught a glimpse of tears as the woman quickly turned, heading towards her shift at the hospital.

The overfill of individuals crammed into the reception area made the room uncomfortably warm and stuffy. Marian took her place at the end of the line, her eyes wandering around at the bored and gloomy faces surrounding her. She didn't know any of them, although some seemed vaguely familiar. It wasn't surprising as the school segregated each block into individual classrooms. The line slowly shuffled forward each time the security personnel yelled, "Next in line." Marian mimicked what she had seen everyone else do when it was her turn. She walked to the window and slid her identification card and canvas bag onto the countertop. The security personnel scanned the card into a computer, thoroughly searched the bag, and handed it back to her. "The bus will depart at 8:00 A.M. If you need to use the facilities, please do so now." A beep sounded from the door to her left, granting her access beyond the security checkpoint.