Chapter 1

Mara eventually fell in love and was proposed to but the week before her wedding, she was raped.

This of course led to her cancelling the wedding and breaking ties with the man as she knew what would come next.

Just as she predicted, she got pregnant. Just like the others in her family but, her case seemed to be a bit different.

On the day of her delivery, a rich tycoons wife died while giving birth. Seeing her for the first time, Jackson, the rich tycoon, fell for her beauty.

Since his wife was deceased, he thought of taking her as his wife and be the mother of his new born son, as well as carry his unborn children but…

It was impossible for him to keep another man's child with him. After discovering she was unmarried, he approached her.

As soon as Mara woke up, she saw a stranger standing so dashingly with an aura of dominance before her. Unaware of who he was, she inquired.

"Who…who are you?" She asked. The weakness from the delivery seemed to have held her down a bit.

"Who am I?" He grinned. "I'm the man who's gonna give you a comfortable life." He said with a lot of confidence.

Mara stared at him in disbelief.
'Is he for real? Am I dreaming or already dead?' she thought. "I don't understand!" She said. "How are you going to make my life comfortable? And where …" she searched the room with her eyes. "...where's my baby?"

"Before I answer any of your questions, hear me out!" He said but she still stwred with disbelief. "My name is Jackson Wesley!" He introduced "My wife just died during delivery and I'm here to propose an offer." He took a step closer. "Be the mother of my son and unborn children and I'll give you a comfortable life." He offered.

Mara blinked in disbelief. She couldn't help but chuckle.

"You're joking, right?" She laughed. "What man in his right sense would willingly marry a cursed girl?"

"Oh, you're no longer cursed." He said. "According to my sources, the curse transfers to the first born, which is always a girl so," he leaned in "... you're curse free."

"You know only so little because it's not from your family. Nobody knows but I do. The curse of unhappiness and loneliness will never leave!" She pointed out.

"Don't worry about that." Jackson said. "With what I'm going to do for you, you won't have any cause to be lonely or unhappy!"

His confidence made her wonder. Well, she had nothing to lose anyway. But it was still unbelievable to say 'that' was his only term.

"Okay," She raised her hands in surrender and dropped them. "...lets say all this is real and you want to give me a comfortable life, what's it to you?" She asked. "I mean, you don't just want me to raise your children and be your life partner all willy-nilly, right? You want me to give up something, am I right?"

Jackson suddenly felt amused and laughed.

"Wow! Beautiful and smart! Now, I like you more." He said "You're right! I want you to give up something and that is your daughter. I don't want her in my family!"

Mara scoffed and shook her head.

"Of course that's it! She now has the curse and you don't want to raise a cursed daughter in your family. And it's even more worse as she's the product of another man." She looked up at the ceiling.

If she said she didn't want her daughter, that would've been a lie. It was too hard to give her up to the world that was full of cruelty and evil. She couldn't let that happen.

"Alright, I accept your offer." She came up with a solution and smiled.

Jackson thought Mara was blinded by his proposal of a comfortable life and smirked.

"After careful consideration, she decide to giver up her…"

"I'm not done talking!" Mara interrupted. He looked at her, wondering what else she had in mind.

"Then, go ahead!"

"My daughter will not be a part of my life, nor yours but, she can't be a part of someone else's either." She stated. "If anything were to happen to her and she dies, the curse will bounce back to me."

"So, what are you saying?" He asked.

"I'm saying that, with your help, I'm going to take care of her in the best possible way but not in the family way." Mara professed. "She can be as far away as possible but will receive everything life has to offer from you and me. Is that alright?"

Jackson thought for a while, weighing the pros and cons. It wasn't such a bad idea. He nodded and Mara sighed with relief

"It's settled then!" Jackson announced. "You just have to do one more thing before we get married."

"That is…?"

"Change your name from Mara to Maya!" He exclaimed. "Mara is just too bitter for a girl like you." He said.

The nurses brought in the two babies. The baby girl on the left was Mara's daughter while the boy on the right was Jackson's son.

The nurse holding the girl, wanted to take the baby to Mara but she declined. She simply took a glance at the baby and looked away.

"I'm not depriving you of a chance to carry her. It might be the first and last time, you know!" Jackson said on seeing her rejection.

"I know! It's just that," she lowered her head. "...I think it's best if I don't hold her and sink into the feeling. I would just need up missing her warmth." She sighed. "Just a look will do."

"Are you sure? You two may never see each other for the rest of your lives." He pointed out and she but her bottom lip.

Tears whelmed up in her eyes. It was already hard as it was. He shouldn't push her anymore.

"Just...take her away!" She said and Jackson sighed.

"I just hope you don't regret it later." He snapped his fingers and the nurse drew back with the girl.

'I…already do!' Mara thought.

"Then, give her a name at least." Jackson suggested and she opened her mouth.

"Tessy!" It was as if the name had been ringing in her head since the moment the baby was born. It was too bad she wouldn't be able to call her that. 'Im sorry baby!' she apologized within and a tear rolled down her cheek.

Jackson signalled the nurse to take Tessy away. He was completely oblivious as to how to console her. Losing a child wasn't easy! He could tell.

He turned to the nurse holding his son and took him from her. He stared at the child. It's resemblance with him was very pronounced. He smiled.

Jackson carried the baby towards Mara, hoping it would heal her heart.

"Take a look at him." He said and Mara raised her head. On seeing the baby boy, her heart melted. It didn't ease her guilt much but it helped.

"Can I…can I hold him?" She requested.

"Of course!" He handed her the baby. "Cause from now on, he's your responsibility." He said.

Mara smiled warmly. The baby in her grasp was so pure and innocent. It almost felt like she didn't lose anything.

"What's his name?" She asked.

"Casper!" Jackson said. "His name is Casper!"

"Casper!" She repeated softly and lowered her head to touch his. "From now on, I'm your mummy!"