Chapter 5

"Good evening, children. Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you..."

Dumbledore is interrupted by a high pitched clearing of the vice as Umbridge slowly rises from her seat, "Thank you, Professor, for those, kind, words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your... bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends."

"That's likely."

"The Ministry of Magic always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something, new to this historic school progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

Dorothy looks between the red heads either side of her, "Any idea what that was about?"

"None-"

"-At all."

Dumbledore gives a slow clap, the hall slowly joining in as hundreds of miserable faces stare up at her, "Thank you, Professor Umbridge. That really was illuminating."

Dorothy snorts quietly and leans her chin on her palm.

~~~~~

Dorothy hums happily as she skips down the corridors towards the Great Hall, "Miss. Malfoy?"

"Black." She corrects as she turns to see Snape.

"Yes, Miss. Black." He hands her a letter and she takes it with a nod before returning to her journey.

She reads the letter on the way to the Hall, it's just from Sirius giving her an update and asking how school is, she'll give him a reply later when she has some free time. When she passes the Golden Trio she stops, "Harry, Sirius wants you to write to him and telling him what's going on."

"Why can't you?" He questions.

"I'm going to, but I'm not a telepath, I don't know what's going on in your head." She taps his head with her rolled up letter before walking away, "And Quidditch is later today!" She calls over her shoulder.

Dorothy slides into the spot between her two chasers, "Right, practice is at four, I've booked the Quidditch pitch and our first house match is early this year, it's in a month, we're playing Ravenclaw. Then Slytherin and finishing off with Hufflepuff."

They nod and watch as the twins sit opposite them, George smiles at Dorothy and she returns it.

Angelina and Alicia share a glance over the girls head and looks to Fred who shrugs.