The part where friends reunite - Arjun

Start from the beginning

It had shocked him even more than seeing another Arjun battle him. The expression of disdain on his friend's face as he looked at Arjun was not something he had ever thought to see, even in his wildest dreams.

"Madhav..." He had called out in desperation. "Madhav!"

There was no flicker of recognition in his friend's eyes; he may well have been screaming at walls. He could see the other Arjun chatting with Madhav...Laughing together... Glaring at him and laughing some more. Arjun longed for a mirror; he wanted to make sure that he had not switched facial features with someone else. Someone like his cousin Duryodhana or Dushyashana or maybe even Angaraj Karna.

The arrows had started flying again and for a moment Arjun was unable to respond; he had never expected to fight against his Madhav. Though there was that one duel but even then, there was no disdain on Madhav's face. In contrast, there had been nothing but pain and regret on both sides.

But now, it was only after having been pierced with a few more arrows and then drenched by the other Arjun employing the Varunastra, that he had finally managed to erect a shield around himself. By then he was so cold that it was getting difficult for him to hold the Gandiva steady and the many fresh wounds on his body were paining him greatly. He had managed to ward off some more of the attack and then he had felt the mace crashing against his arm.

Arjun had yelled in pain and in shock as he had come face to face with another unexpected opponent, his Bhrata Bheem. And the hatred on his face far exceeded his other lookalike's and even Madhav's disdain paled before it. Arjun barely managed to avoid his brother's attacks and soon he was too tired and in too much pain to do even that. As the mace hit his arms, his stomach, his ribs, Arjun could only look beseechingly at Madhav and call for him,

"Madhav.... Madhav..."

Of course, his friend had not responded, and Arjun had tried to avoid as may blows as possible. He only held his Gandiva, and it took him an embarrassingly long time before he realized that he could simply destroy his brother's mace. It pained him to do even that and with great regret he raised the Gandiva against his brother, destroying Bheem's favorite weapon. 

The warrior had snarled angrily but then there was no sight of him at the very next minute. Arjun had screamed his frustration and had called yet again, "Madhav! KRISHNA!"

He was desperate to find his friend, knowing well that if there was someone who could lead him out of this madness, it would be Krishna. His friend had made his way once into Arjun's Psyche and he would find his way back again.

Then came the most brutal attack; Arjun found himself surrounded by all his brothers and his doppelganger stood with them. The sight of their hate filled looks had his heart twist in the ugliest fashion and the pain of it brought him to his knees.

He had tried to speak to them, "Why are you all fighting me? I am your brother. Jyestha... Bhrata Bheem.... Nakul... Deva... Do you not see me? Why do you see me as an enemy? Why do you wound me so?"

But there was no answer forthcoming. It was as if they could not hear him, just fight him. It had worn him out when the Pandavas, (the other Pandavas...not his brothers...not really) had attacked as one and he had been able to barely fend them off. It was unexpected but Arjun felt relieved when his look-alike had not attacked along with the others, for whatever reasons.

As worn out as he was, it had been nearly impossible to defend himself against his Jyesth's spear, Bheemsen's mace (a new one), Nakul's sword and Sahadeva's axe. Within moments into the battle, swamped by tiredness and barely being able to move due to the pain wrecking his senses, Arjun had found himself adding to his retinue of injuries. He had had gashes from Nakul's word and Sahadeva's axe, deep wounds from his Jyesth's spear and was black and blue from the continued attack from Bheem's mace.