Just like how she always ended up telling Suze about everything. Because —and it wasn't an easy pill to swallow for Cassie— her mom was somewhat of a best friend to her in many ways.

She felt kind of pathetic about it sometimes. But listening to her mom's insight on stuff that happened to her only helped the bond grow stronger with time. So she embraced it, and Maddy shared the title without complaints.

What do I do? Was the unsaid question under all the recounting she did to Suze about Selena.

And Cassie could have sworn she saw a knowing look flash in her mother's eyes as she vented to her.

Like she knew her better than the Howard girl
knew herself, and what she was hearing was predictable, and expected.

Of course, she had managed to find something to get distracted with while McKay was away. She was in need of attention 24/7 after all, and it was only a matter of time before she gave the female spectrum some love, too.

Because she needs it, wherever she can get it from.

And yeah, it did end up happening, but it wasn't like Cassie was planning on it. She was in a happy relationship, and Selena was simply one of her closest friends. She always intended to keep it that way.

All she wanted an answer to was whether she should keep some distance from the girl for a while or just go back to normal like nothing had happened and ignore her stupid doubts.

Still, Suze tried to hide her incredulous expression while she listened to her rant about how much she cared about McKay.

She ended up advising her to talk to the Flores girl, and that was the plan.

Until she got high with Maddy at the carnival.

Not even her mom believed she would be able to stay faithful to McKay, and the boy cared more about Nate Jacobs' opinion. Why would she fight off the strong allure of ignoring every rational thought and maybe make Selena's day with a kiss or two?

As terrible as her choice-making was that day, she's grateful they kissed, because her doubts were completely inaccurate.

No, Selena wasn't perfect, but she really, really actually loved Cassie, just like Cassie loved her too.

She knows it's true because she's the only one who would listen to her rant for hours about a new cheerleading routine, or her latest celebrity crush, or her dad, or the clothes she just ordered from an online store.

She knows when her brown eyes always stay glued to the comforter when she tries on the new clothes in front of her. She knows when she refuses to give her a hit of her cigarette. She knows when she reads the little notes the brunette leaves hidden in her backpack when she gets bored in class so Cassie can find them later.

As sure as she was about that, however, she couldn't just forget about her love for McKay, which she thought was just as strong until the pregnancy test showed two lines, and she started to think about what he would say and how he would react.

She always thought of McKay as her best relationship. The boy valued her, and she felt loved.

Neither of them were perfect, but she liked to think that they were growing together. Just how she let the thought of raising a baby with him grow in her head before telling him. Bad call.

But she rarely had doubts about them two, even as she snuck around between classes to make out with one of her closest girlfriends, because she always stopped it before it could go any further.

Of course, until she didn't stop it and it actually got further, and they fucked. And she cheated.

And the thoughts got truly loud.