"I think you both are being too grim about this." Maina huffed, grunting slightly when she sat down in an armchair. "For all you know Knox could be a wonderful male."

"Yes, because males always just want a hug." I rolled my eyes, kicking off my shoes and curling my feet up on the couch. "I bet as soon as I go into heat-"

"Can we not talk about that?" Az grimaced, closing the door behind him and rejoining his mate. "Where did Fia go?"

"She is inviting the princes to tea," Aslin picked at her dress blue eyes glancing over at me, "Is there any way to find out more about them?"

"Here's a shocking idea!" Maina grinned, her eyes sparkling with mischief, "You could just ask."

"They could always lie." Aslin countered, one of Az's large hands clasping her own to keep her from continuing to pick at the fabric.

"None of it matters." I finally spoke up, straightening my spine, "Rasten will make sure he is able to get rid of me even if they don't care about strengthening the treaty with a mate bond. It's not exactly a secret how he feels about me. Besides, can you imagine what opening the trade routes again could do for our people?"

Maina snorted, rolling her eyes, "One day you will realize you don't have to sacrifice yourself for others. Though it will be nice to see you go."

"Maina," Az said warningly, the muscles in his jaw flexing.

"Don't Maina me boy." She scolded, "You get to stay high up in your mountains now. You don't have to see her slowly disappear day after day locked up in this library. She should be out having adventures and enjoying life."

"I like staying here with you." Maina wrinkled her nose at that and I knew if I had sat closer to her she'd be patting my hand in an oddly insulting way.

"Maeve," She sighed, dramatically shaking her head, "The only reason I stay in this library is because I've already had enough adventures for three people's lifetimes. You... you don't do anything."

"Rude." Fia called, rejoining us and taking one of the open armchairs. "Though not wrong."

"Like you're any better young lady." Maina let out a long sigh, "Neither of you are truly living or enjoying life. Maeve, you're being given a way out. I just hope that you will be smart enough to take it."

~~~

"This will teach me to try and push you out of your comfort zone," Fia muttered, frowning at the new more conservative dress I had pulled on. "You look like a black blob."

"Good," I turned in the mirror, my lanky frame hidden by the bulky, black dress.

Fia had noticed the way my spine jutted out of my back, but her eyes were drawn away from my lost weight by the wrinkled skin. I was naturally pale, freckles speckled my entire body, but no one would notice those marks. Not when they had to contend with the scars that hadn't yet healed.

"Maeve..." Fia hesitated, her eyes watering when they finally met mine, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." The words seemed to choke me, and my own eyes welled with unshed tears.

"Maeve." Her lips pursed and I was quickly pulled into her arms, soft sobs wracking through us.

"I'm so scared." I finally admitted, wiping at my eyes and cursing the makeup that streaked down my face, "I can't- I can't go through it again Fia. I can't."

"Okay," She sniffed, pulling away from me and wiping at her own tears, "Well, then you should try to win Knox over."

"What? Why?" I clutched my shaking hands.

"Just..." Fia heaved a sigh, "Aldon will be too much for you Maeve. He is overconfident and will need more from you than you will be able to do."

"How do you-" Fia waved her hand, cutting me off.

"Besides that I doubt Izaak will get along well with you." She continued, beginning to pace as she continued to think, "You were very clear about not wanting to deal with more than one male so for your sanity Aldon is completely out of the question."

"More than one male?" My head throbbed as I attempted to keep up with her. "What do you mean?"

"I followed you through the servant tunnels." Fia's face went bright red, "I wanted to make sure they didn't do anything to you. I headed back though before you started getting upset. I'm sorry."

"Wait. Wait." I held up a hand, pressing the other to my temples, "So through that short conversation you figured out what?"

"Aldon and Izaak are bonded and so you clearly don't want to be with him." She shrugged, "That makes Knox the best option. In addition he also seems to be the most reserved, so hopefully you won't have to do much interacting with others."

"I can't handle looking at his face what makes you think I'll be able to bond with him?" I grimaced at the memory of running from him, shame coursing through me.

"You were surprised." She said defensively.

"And rude." I countered.

"The scars triggered memories of your trauma." Fia shook her head, "It wasn't your fault you reacted the way you did. It may have been less because of his scars and more because there were so many other things affecting you that the scars tipped you over the edge."

"Fine." I sighed, walking over to my neatly made bed and flopping down on it, "Even if he is the best option as far as he knows I saw his face and ran away. I'm a terrible person."

"Even so," Fia tossed her head back with a laugh when I glared at her, "It is almost time for tea so we should go."

"I can't," I rubbed at my temples again, "I am going to clean up first. Before we have to go to the feast."

"Don't you think they might find that insulting?" She frowned, crossing her arms.

"Maybe." I yawned, my eyes fluttering shut, "But if I'm going to make it through the rest of the day I need to relax a bit."

"Fine," She turned to the mirror, grimacing at her own reflection, "I should probably clean up before meeting with them as well."

"You do that." I huffed, "Walk with me to the bath?"

"Sure." We left the room, her heels clacking with every step.

I glanced down at my bare feet poking out from under my dress, "I forgot shoes."

"So?" She shrugged, "Not like we are going to run into anyone. As of right now we are the only ones allowed in this wing."

"And the princes." I huffed, raising my chin.

"They should be heading to the library now." Fia led us down the stairs to the bottom floor the bath was on. "I'll ask someone to start heating the water for you before I head up to the library."

"Thank you."

Please make sure to comment! I'd love some feedback. I am working full time now so it is getting harder to find time to write.