10

Tobin

Trying to quietly open a door while holding a sleeping child is harder than it seems. I was so scared I was gonna wake up Alex, I didn't even realize I woke up Kieran.

"Do you need help?" He asked. I sighed. 

"Sorry Buddy, i didn't mean to wake you." 

"It's okay, I was going to wake up eventually." He laughed. 

I set him down and correctly opened the door. To my surprise, I saw Lex sitting on the couch, wide awake. 'Shit' I mumbled to myself.

She got up and grabbed my arm, pulling me into the bathroom. "Why the hell have you been out for 16 hours!?" She whisper shouted. 

"Has it really been 16 hours?" I asked, ignoring her question. 

"Yes! You left at 12:30, came back at 4:30! Now answer my question. What took you so fucking long?!" 

"The kid- the kids- we rescued Kieran from their parents house and went to the station, where we stayed for questioning until 10:45 ish. You know Cora's huge cut on her stomach?" Lex nodded. "Well, the police sent us to the hospital to get it stitched and treat her other cuts and bruises correctly, as well as Kieran. So we stayed there forever, and then guess what? Just as we were about to leave, their uncle came and tried to hit Kelley, and take Cora! Their fucking uncle! And then the drive was 30 minutes, so here we are." I explained, whispering. 

Lex was left speechless. "I-I am so sorry." She apologized. 

I wrapped her in a tight hug. "It's okay, I know you were just worried. I should've called, but I was so wrapped up with-"  

"Don't even." 

I smiled. "Alright. Now I'm going to bed. I'm sure Kieran's already asleep. Goodnight Lex." 

"Goodnight."

I was exhausted from everything that happened in these recent days. I cuddled up into Kieran- who was asleep- and drifted off myself.

———

Kieran

I woke up in a bed, I kinda freaked out but then remembered last night. This bed was 10x comfier than the mattress I had on the floor, so I slept pretty well. 

When I tried to get up, I realized someone's arms were around me. I looked over to see Tobin. I liked being in her arms. I decided to just lay there until she woke up. 

Tobin started to stir like 15 minutes later. "Morning." I smiled. 

She cuddled up more into me, kissing the top of my head. "Good morning." 

We stayed like this for a while. I think we were both too overwhelmed from yesterday that it was really getting to us now. 

We eventually had to get up though. 

"We're supposed to go to breakfast at 8. Just be ready by then."  She told me. I agreed. I didn't have anything to wear, so I just wore what I wore yesterday. 

I was technically ready, since I had literally nothing there. No toothbrush, no clothes, nothing. So I sat on the bed and waited for Tobin.

"It's cold out, do you want to wear one of my hoodies?" She asked me. I nodded. I wasn't really in the mood to talk right now. 

She handed me a Portland Thorns hoodie. It was a little big, but it worked. "You ready?" She asked me.

"I've been ready since I got up." I laughed. She smiled and held the door open for me.