Start of second year

Start from the beginning

From Harry Potter

P.S. I hope you've been practising'

"Practising what?" Roxanne asked

"Occlumency" Daphne answered

"Why is Harry hoping you've been practising occlumency?"

"Well, Harry has a few secrets" Daphne replied "he told me that if I wanted to know them then I'd have to be able to keep people out of my mind"

"That's why you've been in your room nearly all summer?" Cyrus asked

"Yes, Daddy" Daphne nodded "I'm a ton better at it now. I don't think I could stop a full on attack but I should be able to block a passive probe"

"Who would want to read your mind?" Cyrus raised an eyebrow

"The headmaster and Professor Snape" Daphne answered "they've already tried it with Harry"

"What?! That's illegal!"

"I know and I told Harry that" Daphne replied "he said don't bother telling anyone"

"Why not?" Cyrus demanded

"He has no proof and Dumbledore could weasel his way out" Daphne explained "if Harry accused the famous headmaster of reading minds then nobody would believe him"

"True" Cyrus signed

"Daphne, what's this tournament that Harry is talking about?" Roxanne decided to change the subjects

"I'm not sure but in his last letter he said it was something called Japan's underage war duels" Daphne replied

"What?!" Cyrus blurted out in shock "He's competing in one of Japans war duels?!"

"Is that a bad thing? It's just duelling"

"It's not just duelling" Cyrus replied "the war duels are a famous Japanese event where the competitors duel each other with no rules"

"No rules?" Daphne paled slightly

"There's only one rule and that's no interference from non-competitors, you can use any spell or weapon you want. They're banned in a lot of countries, the last time someone tried to compete in one he came back to England with a missing leg"

"But this is an underage event" Roxanne pointed out

"The Japanese are known for teaching their children offensive spells from a young age" Cyrus replied "they likely know a few deadly or harmful spells"

"Yeah but Harry's in the final round" Astoria reminded them "so he must be good, right Daph?"

"What?" Daphne turned her attention to her sister

"I said Harry's good at duelling, right?"

"Well" Daphne thought about it "I know he beat Malfoy in a duel, and there was that event with the troll but I've never seen him fight someone competent. What if he gets hurt?! The idiot, what was he thinking?!"

"Looks like someone's in love" Astoria remarked, she was unaffected by the glare that Daphne was sending her.

"There's Harry" Astoria pointed when they arrived at the platform. Everyone looked and saw Harry speaking with Neville Longbottom about something. What surprised Daphne was the young girl hanging off of his arm, she was skinny with black hair and blue eyes. She also looked absolutely frightened.

"Well, let's go and meet him" Cyrus said and the family walked over to Harry who had just finished talking with Neville. Harry turned and saw the family once Neville walked away