I shrugged, "As could as I could possibly get."

My mother sighed and took a seat at the edge of my bed, she patted the space next to her. I stood from my chair and made my way towards her, feeling the tears starting to come.

"Tell me," my mom said, wrapping her arms around me, "What's been bothering you?"

I shrugged, "I just feel...after I left for college I didn't come to visit enough, you know? I was just too busy to come home and hang around a while."

My mother nodded and held me tight, "You thought it was the right thing to do-you'll learn once you grow older that many decisions like that will appear more and more. But it doesn't reflect on you and who you are," my mother laughed and kissed my forehead, "You've never been one to handle stress."

If only she knew.

A tear streaked down my face, "I just feel like I neglected her in a way. The last time I saw her was during Christmas break and I had to leave a day earlier than expected, remember?"

My mother stroked my arm, "That wasn't your fault, babe. And she knew that."

She began to stroke my hair and rock me as I began to slowly sob, "You wanna know what the last thing she said to me was?"

I nodded my head, "She said that she was so proud of the young lady you had become. That she always knew you'd do great things. Do you remember the last thing she said to you?"

I laughed loudly-it was memorable.

"I'm sorry I'm leaving so early, gram. I was looking forward to our house party." I joked.

My grandmother laughed and patted my hand, "Next time you see me you bring a boy, okay?"

I giggled, "Who would you be expecting?"

My grandma gave me a flirty smirk, "A man with a story of his own. A man that you will miss even if he just went to the bathroom," we laughed at that for a but till she brought it back to a serious tone, "A man...who will at the end of every day make you feel like you two just met and in your heart you know you deserved him."

I smiled at her and gave her a quick hug, "Anything else?"

"A sexy tattoo?" She winked.

"Gram!" I shrieked, "I love you, until then!"

My grandmother saluted me, "Until then."

"She was always obsessed with bad boys, explaining why she married your grandpa." My mother teased, holding me out at an arms length and fixing my hair.

"Think she's up there right now riding a motorcycle with papa?"

"Definitely." My mother whispered.

~

The funeral felt as if it dragged by. I cried for the first twenty minutes until my family members began telling funny speeches of our crazy grandma.

I smiled brightly at my dad, who's hand was intertwined with his girlfriend. Her sun kissed skin and blond hair completed and clashed with my southern dad.

"Hi, daddy." I said as he brought me in for a hug.

Allie smiled at me and simply waved. I returned the greeting, "How've you been?"

At the beginning of the divorce I was angry with my father-he had moved on so quickly to another lady that I had my doubts on him. He argued that they had just met but I couldn't help but think they knew each other way before. My mother had ignored it, but every night I could hear her sobs.

Now, I was like my mother, and was beginning to accept the divorce and what it brought. All I wanted now was my mother to find a man to show off-I'd have to help.

"I'm fine. We've been busy-we just bought a house in her hometown." My dad said, bringing Allie to his side.

"That's great! I'll have to stop by some day and check it out."

I cringed as I noticed myself trying too hard.

My dad raised an eyebrow, but dropped it, "How's college?"

"Kicking my butt, honestly."

My dad chuckled and looked down at Allie, "She tries too hard."

Allie laughed but didn't break eye contact from my dad-I noticed she wasn't really looking at me.

I pointed my finger, "I feel like something's happening here."

My dad sighed, but the smiled remained as bright as ever. He looked down at Allie lovingly who shrugged her shoulders.

He finally looked back at me, "Allie and I are getting married!"

Oh.

+