New Me #Songkran2023 #ThaiNewYear2023

Start from the beginning

"No problem," Prin replies as Malee guides me over to one of the giant pillars, lowering her voice.

"What is it?" I ask, impatiently. I hate surprises and I feel like she's about to drop a big one.

"I forgot to mention... Kai is here."

"Kai... wait, Kai? Like our friend from middle school?"

"Yeah..."

I lower my voice to a whisper. "Like the boy who lived next door to me who I totally didn't have dreams about marrying... that Kai?"

She chews on her bottom lip. "Mhm, that's the one. Surprise!"

My eyes widen. "I didn't know you invited him."

"I was afraid you wouldn't have come if I told you because you'd overthink everything and be super weird about it..."

"What? No, I wouldn't..." I reply. "First of all, you're more important to me than some crush I haven't seen or talked to in years. I would never bail on you because of a guy."

Malee sighs in relief. "Thanks, Sasha. That's sweet. But... I feel like you still kind of have those feelings for Kai, don't you?"

I gulp and hesitate to respond.

"Even after they got a girlfriend, those feelings never really left. You said you were over Kai but... I know you. It broke your heart seeing them with someone else," Malee pouts.

I frown, shaking my head. "That was in the past. Regardless, I'm here for you always."

Malee's huge smile returns to her face. "I know. Anyway, I should introduce you since it's been a while. Plus, Kai's single! You both have grown and changed so much-- in a good way! Oh, by the way, you should know that Kai is, um, different."

"Well, after all these years, aren't we all?" I reply.

"I mean, Kai's still the friend we know... but 'he' isn't a 'he' anymore..." Malee tries to explain before she spins me around to face an approaching figure. "Hey, Kai, good to see you today. We missed you yesterday. You feeling better?"

"Oh, yeah. Sorry, I missed you guys. A 25-hour non-stop flight and jet lag is no joke," Kai replies. 

"No worries, I understand," Malee gives him an assured smile. "I'm just happy you're here. Also... guess who else is here? Do you remember Sasha?"

She gestures to me as Kai's cocoa-colored eyes flick toward mine. As he pauses to take me in, I do the same. He slightly resembles that little boy next door that I grew up with... but he also doesn't. He's tall with a slim, chiseled face, a stubbled mustache and beard, and long black curls past his shoulders. I notice the sides of his hair are shaved and he has a silver tasseled earring in his left ear. As my eyes work their way down his figure, I'm impressed and shocked at his feminine fashion choices. His sleeveless tank top, which showcased his delicious arm tattoos, was tucked into a high-waisted maxi skirt that ended just above his black heeled ankle boots.

"Sasha? From Coral Ridge?" Kai asks with a shocked face. As he approached me, he carried the same eye smile that made my tummy flutter at the young age of 12. That was almost 15 years ago!

"Hey... y-yep, that's me," I stutter while blushing.

Kai's face lights up with recognition as he smiles. "How are you? Oh my gosh. You look great!"

I was practically drooling at the sight of Kai, my old crush. It was shocking how satisfyingly attractive he looked, which made me catch every little detail that most people would ignore. Like his black nail polish as he tucked a loose strand of hair behind his ear, or his silver charm necklace that cascaded down his chest.