chapter one:

NOTE: the title is from the song living legend by lana del rey. I don't own these two. Wish i did. I'd make them safe in tc4. anyways hope you enjoy !

Ed Warren pulled into the driveway later than expected. Outside the street lights were on and there was no sign of anybody down the long street of suburbia. The moon peeled out from behind the trees and shone the driveway with light.

Ed looked exhausted. His eyes were struggling to stay open and his legs were trudging along the path. His chocolate brown hair was a complete mess, there were bits sticking up at the ends. His clothes were smeared with dirt and grime, and his face was speckled with blood.

Ed was a man of strength. Every case they went on, every investigation into a possessed item, he got more mature. From their first case over 20 years ago, he had grown and developed more than he would ever admit. Back then, he was not a man. In his life, he has sacrificed more than anybody he has ever known.

As he comes closer to the door, his heart is thumping and his palms are swollen. He opens the door and steps into his cold house. The house that no longer has his daughter living there, the house that his wife was not in, the house that has existed through everything important in his life.

Since Judy moved into collage in May, the house had been sadly quiet. Obviously he still had Lorraine to keep him company, but tonight she was staying at the hospital to recover from her encounter with Isla the Occultist. He only came home to let her rest, and to not remind her of the pain that he endured on her that night.

He walked into the kitchen and turned on the light. Judy's exam calendar was still pinned onto the fridge, and Lorraine's rosary was lying on the countertop, missing from her hand. He sat down at the table and placed his head in his hands. Everything was all his fault, Lorraine will probably never recover from the pain of seeing her husband tower over her with a knife in his hand.

The whole house was still dark, except the kitchen, but he didn't turn the lights on, he didn't want to be reminded that he was alone.

Even though he was exhausted, he didn't go upstairs to his bed, he physically couldn't do it without bursting into tears. Instead he slept on the table, reflecting on tonight's events over and over in his head. The house was completely silent, not a sound was heard.

_________________________________

Sunlight poured into the room, bathing Ed in a golden glow. He was still lying at the table, snoring away as the clock ticked 9 o'clock.
Lorraine was busily working away behind him, though he didn't hear her. She was making breakfast, a bacon sandwich and coffee for him. Her hair was freshly washed, her clothes were brand new, her face was neatly done up with makeup, she seemed normal, if not perfect.

It was as though last night hadn't even happened,  well, except the absolute state of Ed said otherwise but she was acting like nothing had changed.

As she was scrubbing the dishes from yesterday, she heard Ed slowly waking up. He didn't sit up, but his eyes were slightly open.

Lorraine put down the dishes and walked over to him. She put the food in front of him and smiled at him.

"Eat up, your gonna need the energy after sleeping on the table." she told him as she continued to clean up the messy kitchen.

He glanced up at her.

"How can you be so normal after what i did to you? I put you through torture. Last night was the worst night of my life, how have you recovered so quickly? How did you do it?" Ed asked, tears brimming in his eyes.

Lorraine's gaze softened and she smiled at him.

"I'm not mad at you. I'm not scared of you. That's wasn't you in the tunnels. You couldn't control it. It's not your fault." Lorraine assured him.