Prolouge

I was fourteen years old when my mom died. I had been living with her all of my life, without my dad. She wouldn't tell me who he was. She would say that he was an awful person, and that he didn't care about anyone except himself. That he was a monster. And of course, I believed her.

It was a regular day. It was hot and humid, and my friends and I chose to eat outside. I got through all of my afternoon classes with ease. It wasn't an eventful day. It was a good day, but boring. I had decided to walk home.

But then, I saw police cars, ambulances and fire trucks surrounding our home. I still remember the feeling in my stomach. It felt like all of my inside were shutting down.  I ran inside. Pass the police and firefighters. Pass the people saying that I need to step back. I saw the inside of our small, two bedroom home. It was in ruins. Everything that I'd ever had was gone. All of my memories were gone. Everything had turned to ashes.

And then I saw my mother. She was lying on a gurney, surrounded by paramedics. They were all shouting medical demands, without bothering to explain them to me.

"Hun, you need to step back!" An angry paramedic yelled at me with a thick New Jersey accent.

I did as I was told.

———————————

Later that day, I stood in front of my mother's hospital bed. She was conscious, but barely. She summoned me over. She lightly touched my face.

"I love you so, so much." She says told me softly.

"I love you too." I replied. She was crying. With all of the tubes and machines she was hooked up to, it was hard to focus on her words.

Just then, I saw her eyes roll back into her head, and she started to shake.

"Mom?!" I ask. "Help! Please help! I yell outside of her door. Nurses and doctors alike run in, and they took her up to surgery.

The wait was awful. Was my mom alive? Was she dying? My questions were answered when a surgeon walked into the waiting room. She was short, blonde, and covered in blood. I knew what had happened before she even had a chance to say anything.

My mother was dead.