~3~

Sitting in this waiting room, I can feel my heart pounding in my chest. This is my very first ultrasound and I can't help but feel extremely anxious about it. I keep fidgeting with my fingers, trying to distract myself from the anxiety that's slowly creeping up on me.

To make things worse, I'm waiting for Billie to arrive, and the thought of her not showing up makes my heart sink even further. I keep glancing at the door, hoping to see her walk in any minute now. As I look out of the huge windows, I can see that it's a cloudy day outside. It almost looks like it might rain or storm, which adds to the tension in the room. I take a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves and focus on my breathing.

I also have to pee really bad but I'm not even allowed to. I had to drink a certain amount of water before the appointment. They told me it had to do something about seeing through soundwaves and the more fluid the better. I don't know, but it's making me highly impatient.

"Wrenley Harrison," My name is called. As I begin to walk toward the nurse who called my name, the bell above the door rang. I turned my head to see Billie walk through the door.

I take a breathe of relief and quickly turn to greet her. "Hey, I'm so sorry I'm late. I accidentally made a wrong turn," she apologized sincerely and I can sense genuine regret in her voice.

"Don't worry about it," I shook my head. "But my name just got called so we should go."
She nodded in response, following behind me.

We walk into the ultrasound room together, and the technician greets us with a friendly smile. "Nice to meet you Wrenley. I'm Ashley and I'll be your ultrasound tech today. Is this your first ultrasound?"

"Yeah," I confirmed and sat on the bed where she gestured for me to be.

"Awesome, well don't be nervous at all, it won't hurt and it will be over before you know it," she smiled. "First I'll have you lay down on the bed and get comfortable," she explained while starting up the machine next to me. As I lie down on the table, I can feel my nerves starting to take over again. But almost as though she sensed it, Billie places her hand on mine, giving me a reassuring squeeze.

"So how this is going to go is I'll lift up your shirt a bit and apply some liquid onto your belly, which might be a bit cold. Then taking this tool," she held up an item, "I'll pretty much massage it around your belly and we will be able to see your baby. Sound good?"

"Mhmm," I nodded. She proceeded to do exactly what she had just explained and I shivered at the cool gel that she applied to my stomach. Billie's hand remained in mine and I'm not going to lie, it was comforting.

"Okay, so if you look up at the screen, you'll see this little blob," she pointed out. "No legs or arms have developed yet but it looks like you're about six weeks pregnant and... oh hang on," she stopped mid sentence moving around the machine a bit more.

"Is everything okay?" I asked worriedly, lifting my head a little. Billie sweetly began massaging her thumb on the back of my hand.

"Yes, more than okay!" She chuckled before making eye contact with me. "We should be able to hear the heartbeats today if you're interested?"

"Six weeks?" I asked, my eyes widening with shock.

"Yeah, you're a month and two weeks into your pregnancy," she smiled. "Did you want to hear the heartbeats?"

"Wait, did you say heartbeats? Like... plural?" Billie questioned... I raised my eyebrows in suspicion, I was too focused on how far along I was to hear Ashley say "heartbeats."

"Yes, there are twins in there," she chuckled. "Congratulations!"

I looked over toward Billie with wide eyes and she nodded with a soft smile. Suddenly, we hear a sound that makes my own heart skip a beat. The doctor explains that it was the sound of our baby's heartbeats. I can't help but feel overwhelmed with emotion as a single tear stream down my face. Billie's hand tightens around mine as we both listen in awe to the sound of the tiny beating of two hearts.