Windblume, Part 11

Windblume, Part 11

A pecking sound on the windows woke the Scribe who was slumbering deeply on the small bed. He peeled his eyes open while tugging his eyebrows together and stretching an arm, smoothing it over the mattress around him. Discovering he was alone, he bolted up in a panic. The light from the daybreak outside dimmed his vision for a few seconds, so he rubbed his eyes as he recalled the events of last night.

He felt annoyed having to wake up alone without his lover next to him, but it quickly evaporated when he spotted a note on the bedside table. Removing the wool blanket over him, he picked up the small piece of paper that said, "calm down, Mr. Scribe. I'm making breakfast for us. I'll be back in a jiffy. -Lumine (*^.^)/"

He calmed as the note advised. This woman is going to give me a heart attack, he thought while puffing. His clothes were neatly folded on the chair next to the desk and he began to dress while deciding if it was time to return to Sumeru. He wanted to sleep in his own bed with Lumine beside him, and perhaps his request to resign as the Acting Grand Sage has finally been approved.

Lumine marched up the stairs carrying a tray filled with food. She had woken early and, knowing that her lover wasn't exactly an early riser, got up quietly without waking him, dressed, folded his clothes and draped him with a blanket before leaving to make them something to eat. The tray was a little heavy from one cup of coffee, one tea, and some bread, so she placed it on the floor before opening the door to her room where she found the Scribe completely dressed, sitting on the chair and reading the fairytale book she had left on the table.

She retrieved the tray and stepped in. "I made some breakfast!"

He closed the book and turned to her. "Who's the Sinner?"

The Traveler almost dropped the tray. She hurried to him, placing it on the desk gingerly. "What do you mean?"

"It's written in your notebook," he gestured to it.

Her expression relaxed.

"Aren't you forgetting something? It's the morning..." he added.

"Oh..." Remembering what he wanted her to do every morning, she moved closer, lowered her head and pecked him on the lips. "Good morning," she murmured.

"That won't do." Alhaitham wasn't content so he placed a hand on her nape, urging her forward and kissing her deeply this time. When he was done, her face was red and she pointed to the tray. "W-we need to eat..."

The aroma of the coffee she had prepared filled the room. His half-asleep brain completely woke after sipping the hot drink. Lumine took her own cup of tea, a piece of the Milky Mushroom Crisp Tower she had prepared and sat on the bed. Alhaitham took one as well and it crunched when he bit the bread, filling his mouth with mushrooms and cheesy flavors.

"You don't want coffee?" he asked.

She shook her head. "This tea is what I need." If I don't want to get pregnant... "It's brewed from an herb a friend from Liyue gave me."

He nodded, finished his first toast, and snatched another one. "Who's the Sinner?" he repeated.

The Traveler hunched and put down her cup on the bedside table, wondering how to begin. She told Alhaitham everything that happened during their encounter with Dainsleif, Kaeya, Clothar and Caribert. The Scribe listened to her intently while biting on his bread and sipping his coffee, never interrupting but nodding from time to time.

"I don't know the identity of the Sinner," she admitted. "Though I have my theories. I listed them in my notebook."

"Phanes, the four shades, and the second who came?" he confirmed.