Chapter 1

"Megan," Lisa nudges me and I glance at her. I'd been doodling in my notebook for the last half hour instead of taking notes. I glance around the room and see all eyes on me. A blush rises slowly in my cheeks as I see Professor McGonagall eyeing me with disapproval.

"Sorry," I mutter, putting my quill down and sitting up straight.

"Now that I have everyone's attention, the Yule Ball is approaching. It is a traditional part of the Tournament and an opportunity to socialise with our guests," McGonagall says, "it will be open to fourth year and above, however you may bring a younger guest if you wish."

The bell rings and McGonagall dismisses us.

"A ball!" Lisa squeals, grabbing my arm, "ooh, that's why we had to bring dress robes! Oh, who are you going to ask? Or do you think someone will ask you? Who do you want to go with?"

"I don't know if I'll go," I tell her, "you know how I feel about dating."

"Well, who said it has to be a date?" she says, linking her arm through mine, "if neither of us get partners we can go together!"

"Promise?" I ask, a smile creeping on to my face. Lisa nods enthusiastically.

"Promise," she says, "but let's see who we could go with... What about Roger?"

"Ew," I crinkle my nose and Lisa rolls her eyes.

"Come on, he's one of the best looking guys in the year," she says, "oh, what about Harry Potter?"

We pass by the Gryffindor table as she says this and I glance over at Harry who is engaged in conversation with his best friend, looking very nervous.

"He's two years younger than us, isn't that weird?" I ask. Lisa shakes her head.

"McGonagall said we can bring a younger guest she says.

"The last thing I want is attention on me," I say, sitting down at the end of the Ravenclaw table, "you know me, I like to fly below the radar."

"Just because you were born a b-"

"Shh!" I hiss, covering her mouth and glancing around, "I don't want people to know about my... Situation."

"It's not as big of a deal as you think it is," she says. I shake my head.

"You have no idea," I mutter, "just keep it to yourself."

"Fine," she sighs, "well, who do you think I should ask if you're not going to?"

"I dunno, you fancy Lee, right?" I shrug.

"Well, yeah, but he's friends with the twins, I bet they all have dates already," she sighs, looking in their direction longingly. I glance at the twins and my heart skips a beat.

"We only just found out about it," I say, "just go ask."

"No, he's not interested in me," Lisa sighs dramatically. I roll my eyes to hard my retina nearly detaches.

"Lisa, go and ask," I say, "if you don't hurry up someone else will, don't be such a baby."

"Oh, do you really think I should?" she asks me.

"Yes!" I say, exasperated. She grins.

"Okay, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask," she shrugs. She fixes her hair and stands up.

"Okay," she says, taking a deep breath, "okay."

I watch her walk over and tap Lee on the shoulder. He stands to talk to her. She flashes him a smile and flicks back her hair, talking to him with confidence. He grins and nods. Lisa giggles and says something then turns and walks towards me, looking thrilled. I look past her and see Lee sitting back down and high-fiving the twins. Lisa sits down next to me and I see her shaking.

"That was scary," she says, "but I have a date!"

"I'm so pleased for you," I say sincerely.

"Now we have to find you one," she says. I shake my head.

"I don't want to go," I say, looking down at my food.

"Hey," Lisa bumps my shoulder gently, "it'll be fun."

"Sure," I nod, forcing a smile.