prologue.

VIOLETTE HARVEY

first year

It wasn't my first time being in detention. I'd never really minded the empty classroom, or the punishment, or the constant disappointed glares I was given. I wasn't the most respectful sort. I sometimes take things a little too far. You'd think the Weasley twins would fancy me more — or make some sort of contact with me, yet, they loathed me, as if I was stealing their thunder.

I sat alone in the desolated classroom. The supervisor, Professor Snape, had been beckoned to attend an 'urgent cause', therefore leaving me alone in the silence. The quiet was somewhat comforting, as I listened to the soft sounds of the light wind, the small footsteps behind the closed door, and even the occasional laugh or whisper from the back of the corridor.

Eventually, I noticed that the once small footsteps started to get much louder, soon, I was accompanied by an unfamiliar boy and Professor Snape. The foreign boy had brown, messy hair, and sharp blue eyes. He was tall, but not much taller than myself. He was skinny, but not the ugly type that  you'd notice at once, unless you were thoroughly inspecting him, which I was. He was attractive, at the least. If I hadn't just met him, I might've had a crush on him, but I was only 11, what did I know about that?

"Nott, take a seat beside Miss Harvey over there," Snape instructed, and pointed beside me. The brunette took a seat next to me and stared at me intently. I stared back.

"I will be back in a moments time, please, do not do anything ridiculous." Snape pleaded. We continued to stare into each other's eyes.

We both stayed silent, not daring to break the boy's intense gaze. The door must've shut at some point, I hadn't noticed.

"You know it's rude to stare." I told him, and I broke eye contact.

"So, who're you?" he questioned.

I blinked and turned my head toward the front of the classroom. "Violette Harvey."

"Nott, Theodore Nott." he gave me a crooked smile.

"Nott." I tried the name out of my tongue.

"What happened to your face?" I questioned him. His face was covered in a dark green liquid-like substance.

"Nothing," he mumbled faintly.

I looked at him sympathetically. I don't know how or why, but I knew he needed a hug. 

So did I.

There was silence after that. I wasn't quite sure if it was a comfortable silence, or plain awkwardness. After a moment of more silence, I practically jumped out of my seat, to sit in the teachers desk. I rummaged through the drawers.

"What're you doing?" he inquired, clearly skeptical.

"Looking." I replied nonchalantly.

"For what?" now he was also out of his seat.

"Anything," I shrugged. Then he was helping me look. 

"Y'know you look like a bloody idiot right now?" I asked him, letting out a stifled laugh.

"Thank you," he smiled, his pearly whites gleaming. I couldn't hold my laugh. The contrast of his green face and white teeth was very amusing.

Then Snape burst into the room with two other students. One had blonde hair and brown eyes, Daphne Greengrass, everybody knew her, and the other had dark brown hair and a lightning scar on his forehead, nonetheless, Harry Potter. Nott scoffed, and gave them a not so subtle death glare.

I whispered to him, "what's the deal with them?"

"They made me green," he whispered back.

"Oh. Sorry for this."

"For what?" he questioned.

"This." I stated flatly. Then I darted a small, black mini figure at Harry Potter, hitting him square in the nose. Nott and I burst out in laughter. Snape on the other hand, was not amused.

"Two more weeks of detention." I droned as the two of us walked hand in hand out of the detention classroom.

"Okay but that move was sick," he chuckled.

"That's what they get. No one turns my friend into a frog." I smiled.

"So were friends?" he asked teasingly.

"We can be."

"Harvey I think this is the start of great friendship."

"I think so as well."

✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶

author's note

Im really excited for this book. I just edited a lot of it (11/19/23), but now it is much better. I hope you enjoy. If you don't like friends to lovers then I don't recommend you read this, but it's always good to try something new. So no matter what you're into read this book because trust me there's a juicy plot.

 I love you, and don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT!!