Chapter 1: Why did you come back?

NYU Campus (7:30 P.M)

Narrator POV

Dude, I'm telling you, it's not a good idea, Josh tells his best friend and roommate Drew. 

They are currently walking out of the campus cafe and towards their apartment, which is right across the street,  and as Josh is about to open the door to his apartment building, they hear a a voice calling Josh's name, coming from behind, making them both freeze. 

Josh, the person says, causing Josh and Drew to turn around. 

Josh opens his mouth, but nothing comes out. He doesn't move or anything. He just keeps looking at the one that called his name in utterly silence. He didn't know what to say or do. He was confused, shocked, and frozen. Drew had enough of the tension and waved his hand infront of Josh's face, bringing him back to reality.

Ma-Ma, Josh choked. Drew looks at him. Josh clears his throat. Maya? he questions.

Hi, she says, looking at Josh.

Wha- wha- what are you doing here? Josh asks her, clearly confused.

Um, I need to talk to you,  Maya says, looking between Drew and Josh.

Um okay...  Do you want to go for a walk, Josh asks, nervously.

Um, it's kind of cold. Can we talk in your room? Maya asks, looking at Josh with a smile.

Um... yeah. Here take my keys and make yourself at home. I'll be there in a minute. I just have to make a quick phone call, Josh says, hanging her his apartment keys. 

Maya nods and goes inside and upstairs to his penthouse, which is on the second floor.

Once Maya is out of sight, Drew looks at Josh.

  That's the same Maya that walked out 8 months ago with her heartbroken and walked in on you and Jasmine "kiss". The same Maya that you had to give up? The Maya that... Drew starts.

Yes. The very same. I don't need a play by play... I was there. I have to talk to her. Can you just go and apologize to Jas before it gets worse, Josh says, turning to go inside.

Hey Drew, someone says. 

Josh turns around and see's Zay, Maya and Riley's friend, coming up the stairs. 

Hey, I thought you weren't coming until tomorrow.. Drew says. Oh, Zay this is my roommate Josh. Josh this is my little brother Zay, Drew says.

Josh POV

Wait, this is the half brother that's staying with us this week? I ask Drew, pointing at Zay.

Hey Josh. How have you been? breaking anyone else's heart recently? Zay asks, crossing his arms. 

Do you know each other? Drew asks, looking at me.

He's Riley's friend. I've seen him around, I say, looking at Drew. It's nice seeing you Zay, but I have someone waiting for me. I'm about to have the most uncomfortable conversation of my life, I say, turning around and going inside.

I go upstairs to my apartment and walk to my room. Maya's there on my couch. I run my hand through my hair and sigh. 

Sorry, I got held back by your friend Zay showing up, I say, making her look at me.

Zay's here? Why? she asks, confused 

Apparently, he's Drew's brother, same mom different dads, I say, sitting next to her.

Okay... she says.

So... you wanted to talk to me? I ask her, sitting on my bed.

Yeah. I have to ask you something, she says, playing her hands and looking at me.

Okay... I start.

Did my Dad ask you to give me up? Was the kiss with Jasmine real? Did you plan to hurt me to protect me? Did you lie to me? She asks.

I look at her and stay silent. She looks at me and her eyes widen. 

Oh My Gosh! It's all true, isn't it? she asks.

Maya, I can explain, I say, trying to find words.

Explain? Explain what? You let my dad come between us. I've been heartbroken for the past eight months because of you. I thought Riley was lying when she told me this. I yelled at my best friend because of you! I can't believe you!  How could you not tell me! she yells, getting off the couch. 

Babe... I start... she holds up her hand.

No, don't "babe" me. We've  been secretly dating for three weeks, and you didn't think I had a right to know? I honestly want to know, why shouldn't I walk out that door right now?  she asks.

Because I... I start, but get interrupted with a text. It's Drew, he says that he took Zay out to a movie, so that we can talk, I say, putting my phone away.

Well, it's a waste of money. We're done here. Bye Josh, Maya says, grabbing her stuff and walking to the door. 

You can't leave, I say.

Why not? She says, still walking to the door.

Because I had no choice but to give you up, I say, sighing.

Maya turns around. She looks at me with confusion. Shawn said he wouldn't adopt you if I didn't give you up. I couldn't let that happen. I wanted to tell you but I knew you'd tell Shawn that you'd rather have me than get adopted out of anger. But Riley told you this? I ask her.

Yeah, why? she asks me.

Riley was the one that stopped me when I was going to tell you the truth the night before your adoption, I say, looking at her.

I'm sorry, what? she asks. It doesn't matter. It's too late for explainations. I'm leaving, she says.

You can't go, I say, stopping her.

Why not? she asks.

Because I love you, I say, looking at her.

You just said I love you, she says.

Yes, I did. I love you so much that I gave you up so you can have a family, I say, putting a hand on her cheek.

I love you too, she says, kissing me. Once we pull away, she looks at me and says No more secrets.

You do know we'll have to tell  people eventually, I say, hugging her.

I know, but I like being a secret for now, she says.

Maya and I have been dating secretly for 3 weeks. I am happy to finally be with her but I hate hiding it. I know Riley is suspicious about us spending time together. Maya says that she'll tell Riley when the time is right. I am very close with my niece. We tell each other everything and I hate having to keep this from her.

Yeah, but we have to tell Riley. I tell her and Drew everything and keeping this from them is killing me, I say, kissing her cheek.

Fine, I'll tell Riley and you tell Drew, she says.

Thank you babe, I say, smiling

I should probably get going before Zay comes back and sees me, she says.

I kiss her. I love you, I whisper.

I love you too, she says.