xix

Rumors about the young Prince Joffrey spread across the castle as they had with Jacaerys and Lucerys. Some even circled about Jessica Byrne apparently assisting the Princess and Ser Laenor to the Queen's chambers.

People wondered if the rumors of her love affair with the princess before her marriage was more than a rumor. But it wasn't something she focused on. She wasn't allowed to think about rumors when she was working for Alicent.

"Ser Jessica." She pauses her walking to face the young woman who came to approach her. She politely bows to the girl, who smiles back. "You've been summoned." Before Jessica can answer that she was already on her way back to the Queen, the girl interrupted.

"By the princess, in her chambers."

"Oh. Alright, thank you." She didn't waste time walking to Rhaenyra, wondering why she wanted her. Was it to be condescending about the older woman helping her? Was she summoning Jessica simply to flaunt her newest endeavors with Ser Harwin?

As she entered the hall toward the Princess's room, she ducked her head as Ser Harwin left. "Ser Jessica." She looks up in shock and tries to hide her nerves. "Hello, Ser Harwin." He nods and walks past her, and she lets out a breath, walking inside.

When she walks in, the room is empty as Rhaenyra takes deep breaths with Prince Joffrey in her arms.

"Your Grace." Jessica bows and straightens, and Rhaenyra doesn't react, staring at her with a soft gaze. Jessica wouldn't admit to herself how uncomfortable the Princess's stare was, but she settles. "Hello, Jessica."

"You asked for me?" Rhaenyra nods. "I wanted to express my gratitude for this morning. You didn't have to help me." Jessica nods with a frown. "So, thank you."

"Of course." Rhaenyra had never been much of an observer, but she always noticed when Jessica was tense. All those council meetings where her eyes would drift and Jessica would stare forward, she knew Jessica could feel her gaze.

It wasn't a new thing, but watching Jessica squirm was almost adorable.

"I wish to speak to you longer, but I am sure you have your duties." Jessica nods and readies herself to leave, but Rhaenyra speaks again. "Although, I wish to inquire something."

"Of course, Your Grace." Rhaenyra looks at her son. "Does your mother ride a dragon?" The redhead frowns. "No, Your Grace."

"But your uncle did?" Jessica nods. "So you have the blood of a dragon rider in you?"

"I guess." Rhaenyra chuckles. "You guess? Your mother is descended from Elissa Westyra as my sons are from Aegon the Conqueror, right?" Jessica nods. "You are still a dragon rider, despite you not being a true Byrne. You are still Westyran as my sons are still Targaryen." Jessica doesn't understand the conversation being had, but she continues to listen.

"I am a Byrne, Your Grace. It is my name, my father claims me." She says, and the blonde nods with her. "Precisely. Do you understand what I am trying to say?"

"You are comparing me to your sons."

"I am. I understand you are loyal to her and the Greens, but you must understand your hypocrisy. Just as you have the blood of dragon riders, my sons do as well. Ser Laenor has claimed them as your father has you." Jessica stands silently with a tight jaw and straightens into attention.

"Is that all, Your Grace?" Rhaenyra sighs, and shakes her head. "That is all, Jessica." Jessica bows, and quickly leaves the room.

Elsewhere in the castle sat young Aemond Targaryen and the Princess's lady in waiting, Reyanna. For the year she was staying in the castle, the two became very close. Aemond marveled over her stories of the dragon, Kerberos, and expressed how he wished he had his own. "Someday you will have one." She says as they walk together.

Though she was rather punctual with her work, the Princess insisted she needed the peace and quiet, so Reyanna found herself with Aemond like she did on most days. "I wish it would happen sooner rather than later." He says with a frown.

"If it makes you feel any better, I have not seen my dragon in months, they must miss me." She says. "Why did you not bring the dragon here?" He asks. "My family does not believe in domestication or the dragon pit. Targaryen dragons are smaller because they do not fend for themselves or hunt, it stunts growth."

"They just let the dragons roam free?" Reyanna nods. "There is plenty for my mother's dragon to eat on the shore. Maybe when you find your dragon, you can take me home." Aemond hides his blush and pauses. For a second, Reyanna doesn't notice but pauses when she does. "Are you alright?" He sighs.

"You believe I can find one?"

"Why, of course. You are Aemond Targaryen, first of his name. I think you can do anything." Aemond watches her with kind eyes, and smiles. "Thank you." They eventually found Aegon, Jacerys and Lucerys as they went on their way to the dragon pit.

"Hello, beautiful Reyanna." Aegon says, making the young girl roll her eyes. "Hello, my Prince." Aemond shifts nervously beside her. "Will you be accompanying us to the dragon pit?" Jacerys asks beside her, and she looks down at the young boy. "I guess so."

Across the castle, Ser Jessica stood before the Queen. "What did she say to you?" Alicent inquires. "She compared to her sons to myself." The Queen looks at her with a frown. "You are no bastard."

"And yet I am. I am Dornish with pale skin and red eyes and hair. My father is not Andrew Byrne, she is not wrong." Alicent rushes toward her, grabbing the sides of her face. "You are nothing like them. She is poisoning you with her words." Letting go, she steps back.

"Tell me, Ser Jessica, did your mother make it plainly obvious she was entertaining Lord Jorran?" Jessica sighs at the mention of her father, but shakes her head. "And did she taunt your family with word of your legitimacy?"

"No."

"You are not like them, and your mother is not like Rhaenyra. Do you understand?" Jessica nods. "She makes comparisons to divert your thinking, make you feel guilt, but she is not smarter than you, than us. I mean, she practically admitted it to you." She pauses, thinking.

"She admits it to you, but not her sons. Tell me, Jessica, how close were you and the Princess?"

______

Hey, peeps! Back with another update. School's over in about two weeks so I may or may not have more free time to write, it depends on when I get a job.

Otherwise, I hope you all enjoy this chapter!