chapter seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
"the ones that wanted death."

JULIET'S MOTHER WAS the first to move, the other two killers quickly following her thoughts as they began to circle the group. Ethan's hand moved in an instant, it gliding from the comfort of the girl's back to her arm for safety. He'd meant what he said, he wasn't leaving his side - he would keep his promise, even if it cost him his life.

"Dad wouldn't want this," Juliet tried, voice having regained it's steadiness as her eyes latched onto her mother with the knife. She'd pushed her pain down, that same, overwhelming sense of betrayal that'd followed her from the last attack - the last night her emotions had been at an all-time high. She was never like that, never one to dwell on the past, but when her eyes had focused on her friend with the blood in her hair and the fateful knife in her hands, she had. She couldn't help it, it was a sight nobody could unsee. It was only worse when it turned out to be her own mother.

"Your dad didn't want a lot of things. He didn't want to die, but you just had to do it, didn't you?" The woman shrugged, a sick smirk toying with her lips. The blonde softened her eyes with a shudder.

"He had cancer!" She reasoned, eyes straining against the want of tears as the Carpenter sisters behind her eyed Quinn and Bailey worriedly. 

"She didn't kill her dad!" Ethan shouted, taking a step in front of the girl with his hand still hovering by her bicep. His brows were furrowed, face perplexed as he stared at the woman his girl had talked about with such love. Now there was nothing - there was absolutely nothing there.

Out of the blue, the woman jumped forward with her knife extended, sending the boy shuffling back whilst pushing Juliet hurriedly behind him. She laughed before pulling away, looking at the blade with a gleam in her eye. "I think you're forgetting who has the knife, sweetheart," she teased with a vile grin, one that made Juliet look away. She shared a nervous look with Tara, things weren't looking too good.

It was four against three, but the ones with the knives, the ones with the upper hand, were the ones that wanted death. The younger people, the people only just surpassing the age of eighteen, were the people who wanted to live. They wanted to experience everything they'd yet to have done - adventure, own a house, buy a dog, love someone. Juliet wanted to love someone who wouldn't end up stabbing her in the back - literally.

Tara and Sam were talking to Bailey and Quinn behind them, involuntarily of course, and the girl could hear parts of their conversations. Woodsboro, alive, body, prosthetic, movie, Richie. Ethan spoke with venom to the girl's mother, the woman distracted by the boy and his anger as Juliet watched on nervously. However, her eyes caught on elsewhere - an exit door at the top of the theatre.

"Hey!" Her mother shouted warningly at the girl, loud enough that the glass cases around them rattled. Her eyes snapped back, even Tara and Sam's flicking over worriedly as Ethan's posture tensed. The woman pointed her knife at the girl with a tsk in her throat. "Eyes over here, darling."

And then they were thrown into a world of violence.

Quinn leapt forward first, her knife piercing Sam's skin as she cried out into the dull air. Quinn watched the blood ooze with a sick grin while Bailey crept towards a frantic Tara, chasing her around the theatre. That's what sent Ethan and Juliet running, sharing a nod of a look before sprinting away from the girl's mother who was following their heels. They could hear her maniacal laughter over their rasping breaths for dry air.

"This way!" Ethan shouted, grabbing her hand to pull her into a room they were passing by. The door flung shut behind them as they pulled to a stop. The curly-haired boy couldn't have picked a more unfortunate room.

Laying on the floor, right in the middle, was their friend Chad. He was drowning in a pool of his own blood, wounds soaking through his dark and damp shirt. They couldn't tell if he was breathing - but they didn't creep any closer, because they didn't want to know. The odds were leaning towards the favour they didn't want.

Distracting them from their harsh thoughts was Juliet's mother returning in a pant, throwing open the closed door with a twisted, demonic grin. "There you are!" She shouted gleefully as she jumped forward, slashing Juliet's back before either young adult could say anything of it.

The blonde, just for a split second, bathed in the silence. There was no pain, the feeling of her skin tearing not having reached her ticking brain, as she spun on her heels. Her eyes found the woman as she thought, in that singular span of a moment, of what to do. Then, after that moment had ticked over and the pain was almost there - flourishing - she kicked her in the stomach as hard as she could.

The woman fell back into wall, clattering to the ground as Ethan pulled the blonde back. He immediately dragged them to the door, bursting through it hurriedly before scampering away. As soon as they were a fair distance away, hidden from the bloodshed and violence tearing rampant through the theatre, he span her around. The adrenaline was covering the pain blossoming through her spine, but due to the mere thought of her mother brandishing a knife, it was worth nothing.

Ethan inwardly cursed once catching sight of the blood dripping from her back. Turning around, he pulled off his jacket and wrapped it around his hand before punching through one of the glass cases, quickly pulling out a thin shirt belonging to one of the killers before ripping it to shreds.

"Dree . . . what are you doing?" She asked as she peered around, only getting an apologetic look from him as he gently guided her face back around. 

"Helping . . . this might hurt a bit," he wrapped a torn piece of the light material around her waist before tightening it, squeezing a small wince out of her in response. "I'm sorry," he muttered continuously as he tied the material, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

He was done quickly, and after a second of just breathing the girl turned around with the biggest smile she could manage; at that time, it was merely there. "Thank you, Ethan, don't be sorry."

He looked down at her, eyes wide and glinting in the dull, artificial light before he too let out a smile. It lasted forever, never drooping at the ends or cutting away in an instant - in the girl's mind. However, in that moment - the reality of the moment - it disappeared in a blink of an eye.

The knife stabbing into his stomach from behind was more real than anything the girl could've hoped for.