Chapter 2: Calling From New York

After Esther got ready for dinner, she went downstairs and looked out the window to see if John was still out there. Unfortunately, he was gone, probably back inside the house.

Esther's mind travelled back to the moment she laid eyes on him, he was just so handsome. The way he looked dashing standing out in his front yard in the bright sunlight, staring off into the distance. He looked like a prince waiting for the arrival of guests for a special dinner. When he looked at her, he smiled and waved, and Esther practically melted right then and there on the front porch. What excited Esther the most was that he would be studying at her school in the spring, and she hoped that she would be able to spend time with him.

All of these thoughts made Esther's heart swell with warmth and happiness. So much so, that she started to quietly sing a song.

Dear when you smiled at me
I heard a melody
It haunted me from the start
Something inside of me started a symphony
Zing! Went the strings of my heart

'Twas like a breath of spring
I heard a robin sing
About a nest set apart
All nature seemed to be in perfect harmony
Zing! Went the strings of my heart

Your eyes made skies seem blue again
What else could I do again?
But keep repeating through and through, "I love you, love you"
I still recall the thrill
I guess I always will
I hope 'twill never depart
Dear, with your lips to mine, a rhapsody divine
Zing! Went the strings of my heart

As Esther's song came to a close, she sighed. She wished there was a way she could formally meet John Truett without having to wait til next semester. Just then, an idea popped into her head. The Christmas party! I'll invite him. Esther was brought out of her thoughts by the grandfather clock's chimes, it's alarm echoing throughout the house. Esther turned around and saw that the clock read 6 o'clock. Oh my. 30 minutes before dinner, I better get going. I don't want to be late.

Esther rose from her seat by the window and saw Lon coming downstairs.

"Oh, Lon!" She said, running up to her older brother. "May I invite the new boy next door to our Christmas party? It could be a welcoming gift to St. Louis for him." She asked.

Lon thought about it for a moment before saying, "That's not a bad idea. Sure, why not? I'll tell Rose to write him an invitation."

"Oh, thank you Lon!" Esther replied, giving him a hug and kisses.

The siblings then entered the kitchen and helped the rest of the family set the table.

"Where's Father?" Esther asked, after noticing he was absent.

"He's taking a bath upstairs. Just let him take his time, he lost a case today at work so let's give him some alone time. He'll be down in a moment." Anna said.

Just then, they heard a loud thud followed by tumbling and the crashing of furniture. Everyone in the kitchen slowly turned their head and set their eyes on a little girl.

"Now I remember where I left my other skate." Tootie said embarrassed.

Alonzo then came down and walked slowly to the table.

"I hope I haven't held you up, I was just taking a little ride before dinner." He said, revealing the skate behind his back and placing it in front of Tootie.

As he took his seat, he said, "Tootie, remind me to spank you right after dinner." To which Tootie replied quietly with, "Alright Papa."

Soon after, dinner was ready to begin. Katie, their maid, brought out tonight's main course, smoked ham. Agnes and Tootie reached over to take a slice but Anna slapped their wrists.