The love contract-Surprise, surprise.

[YES, THIS IS AN UPDATE! I'll spare the explanation but I apologize for the long wait due to exam season setting in, on the brighter side, a huge thank you for getting TLC to 100K, means ever so much! 11 weeks of summer awaits so I'll be writing more soon. Thank you to those supporting and still reading, comment below and vote!]

*********

Bakhoor.

An exotic, rich scent of woody sultriness drifted through the warm air, filling it with a sweet burning stench around me. The antique vases near the opening; wild with designs of gold, emanated the insence of wooden chips, redolant of my home town. I reminsiced the good old days back home, young, free and without a care in the world. How my childhood was deeply missed and how much I longed to go back.

With the current civil war going on in Syria, it was highly difficult to tell when everything would come to an end, making it inexpedient to visit also. Maybe one day, if God willed it. I snapped out of my trance and scanned the room whilst sipping on my fruity cocktail, low murmurs of wealthy commons sat in gatherings around tables, their laughter mid conversation indistinct, as they relished their middle eastern cuisines.

I infused the smells of spices and allowed the tropical flavours of mouth watering nourishment consume me.

Tranquility and the sound of faint, harmonious percussions filled my ears; the rythym setting a melodious vibe around us as the wind danced, uproarious to the garland chimes displayed above the doors.

"Aaliyah," A deep, smooth voice interrupted my train of thought and my eyes met with hazel-auburn globes, glistening under the radiating light from the crystal chandeliers above; studying me as I struggled to find words.

"Hm?" I mumbled, observing every little detail on his buttoned up paisley shirt.

"I said, you're definitely more talkative than this." He ruffled his wavy hair, showcasing the silver watch around his wrist.

"Sorry-I just haven't been out in a while," I stuttered sheepishly and let out a slight breath of reassurance once his lips turned into a tight smile, sighing as he lightheartedly chuckled in understanding.

"It's fine, I didn't realise I would make you feel so uncomfortable," he said playfully, a slight smirk touching his lips. I grimaced, realising my attention span was lacking.

"You're not. Sorry, I'm just admiring this place, that's all," I assured him, scanning the light spirited atmosphere as the waiters & waitresses swarmed around swiftly, holding handfuls of dishes and serving what seemed like very gratified customers.

"It's beautiful right? I bring all the girls here," he laughed, winking jokingly at his last remark. I rolled my eyes and grinned, shaking my head at his boastfulness.

"Is that so?"

He exaggeratedly nodded, letting out a lessening chuckle. His gradual attempt at breaking the ice amused me and funnily enough, it seemed to be working.

"Nah, I'm only messing, it's the only place in Ari you'd find appreciation for decent cultural food I guess."

"Yeah, I'm surprised at how you managed to find this place even."

"It's my uncle's, believe it or not. He opened it shortly after he came here, I'm sure he's around somewhere," he said as he scanned the room.

"Wow. No way. This is officially my new favourite place, it reminds me so much of my mom's home made food."

For a second I reminisced the taste of my mother's friday lunch, one she served up for my father and I once jummah prayers were over and we came home to her busily working away in the kitchen, tasting the spices and checking if her flatbread hadn't burnt.