𝟬𝟭𝟬 as the world caves in

ミ☆ chapter ten; as the world caves in

The group sat in the van, an ominous silence enveloping the entire vehicle. Bailey's bright idea was the phone tracing technique, one that failed last time, resulting in Randy Meeks' brutal killing.

To be fair, that was then. They were living in a more modern time, with better technology, better tactics, better approaches. Unfortunately, it also meant better killers.

Nobody had any better ideas, so Bailey's way was the only way, even if everyone was unsure on whether or not it would work.

Claire sat next to Ethan, her entire body leaning against the side of the van. She had been on pain killer since she'd been discharged, as well as been given a sling, but those could only do so much. Every time she moved anywhere from her upper body, it ached like a bitch.

She also wore dressing around her torso underneath her shirt, meant to protect the stitching on her side.

Mindy sat next to Ethan, her foot up on Kirby's table that had somehow managed to fit inside of the van. Chad sat in front of Claire, his side facing her, and Miles was seated next to Chad on the floor of the van.

"So we're really doing the phone tracing thing that never works in the movies?" Mindy finally spoke, breaking the peace. Kirby scoffed as Chad began to mock his sister silently. "It'll be all, 'Keep 'em talking, Sam. Two more minutes, I've almost got him' and then he hangs up just before we can get a lock."

Kirby's eyes remained on her computer as she replied, "I can trace a call in under fifteen seconds."

The five young adults stared at her in surprise.

"Nice," Claire commented, pursing her lips. "You are seriously changing my opinion of the FBI. In a good way."

Kirby quirked a brow. "You interested in it?

"Not really," Claire responded. "I am, however, interested in being in that field of work."

"Well, if you ever need help with anything, give me a call."

The twin shot her a grin. "Will do."

Mindy kept her eyes on Kirby, still thinking of another way to flip the argument back around. "Well, you've got them out there as bait."

"Because the killer usually calls from somewhere nearby," Kirby elaborated.

"And you think they're safe because it's broad daylight in a public place?"