Chapter 13. Hazing

En başından başla

"This was a terrible idea." I holler, suddenly aware of all the eyes that have zeroed in on us. We get a few cheers. When I glance over, Doc is already swaying sensually with the music. 

Seeing my hesitation, Vick bends down to snatch a quarter-full tequila bottle from behind the bar. She straightens and takes a long swig before shoving it into my palms.

"Don't get shy on us now, Strip Club." There's a dare in her eyes. 

A few bikers begin to pound on the bar top, urging me on. I brace myself and tilt the bottle back, finishing the tequila in one searing swallow. The roadhouse erupts in cheers. Swiping a hand across my mouth and fighting a grimace, I turn to Vick.

"You wanna see a stripper? I'll give you a stripper."

She hoots and we start dancing. A few more girls hop up to join us, and an older woman with wiry jet-black hair and full sleeves of faded tattoos. I settle into the rhythm, feeling a surge of confidence as I start to relax. 

I've never been a strong dancer, I don't have Cherry's easy grace, but I'm good at working the crowd of men who come into the Stella. On the bar of the roadhouse, I sink to my knees and slide my fingers through the hair of a nearby Spade. He's young, with dark curls and a piercing through his lip. His buddies go wild and I reach behind me for another bottle of liquor. I tilt the Spades' head back and pour a steady stream of whiskey into his waiting mouth. 

His blue eyes sparkle up at me, reaching forward to pull me down for a kiss. Before I can playfully bat his hands away, Tex appears through the crowd, shoving the kid backwards. I pout, snag the cowboy hat off his head, and place it atop my own. Tex only grins up at me, shaking his head in wonder.

I tip the cowboy at him as I straighten, feeling Vick's arms on my waist. 

"Trying to make someone jealous with that hat?" She shouts in my ear.

"Wouldn't dream of it!" I call back, then turn to face her with a mischievous grin. "Do you think it's working?"

She laughs knowingly and leans in close, driving the boys at our feet wild. "He's watching from over by the back door, but don't look at him. He'll come to you."

"You think so?"

She nods and turns me away from her again, sending me down the bar with a slap on the ass. I throw myself back into the music, lifting my shirt and teasing the bottom of my red lace bra, holding tight to the cowboy hat while I shake my hips to the music. 

Suddenly, a tall figure appears at my feet. Cash has shouldered his way through the crowd of guys to stare up at me, looking amused. 

"Come on, Dallas!" He offers his hand and helps me down from the bar, pulling me close to whisper in my ear. "I'd better get you back before the guys get any ideas."

He pulls the hat off me and places it unceremoniously back on Tex's waiting head.

I realize our hands are still entwined, the scrape of his calloused palms against mine making my stomach twist. I pull away like he's burned me.

"You're gonna drive? How much have you had to drink?" 

He laughs. "Woah officer, are you gonna frisk me?" He leans in again. "Relax, Dallas. I  haven't been putting 'em back like you have. You're drinking the roadhouse dry."

He's teasing me. I huff and cross my arms, feeling a blush crawl up my neck. "I'm having fun here. I don't want to go."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah."

"Okay then." Before I can react, he's scooped me around the waist and thrown me over his shoulder.