Chapter 12. Party Party Party

Start from the beginning

"What gathering?" I nearly drop the pieces of mug again when it dawns on me. "Is it Sunday already?"

"Yes ma'am. I am to escort you, if you're feeling up to it." He must sense that I'm considering playing hooky, because he adds: "I'm told Pearl will be dropping Blister in an hour or so."

Rats. I can't leave Blister alone.

"Okay. Let me clean this up and change." I sigh. "What the hell do I even wear to something like this? Leather pants? Will you be whipping out the assless chaps?"

"In your dreams."

~~~

Tex drives us out to a roadhouse on a country highway. I didn't even know one existed, but then the majority of my life has been restricted to the trailer park or downtown Throckmorton. At one time, it looks like it might have been an Old West-themed restaurant. The parking lot is packed with motorcycles.  After spending a few agonizing minutes fretting with my hair in the passenger side, I climb out of the Chevy and head for the front door of the roadhouse, but Tex whistles and nods his head around back.

"Yard party until it gets dark."

I smooth my hands against my denim cutoffs and follow his lead with trepidation. "Shouldn't we wait for Blister to get here?"

He shrugs. "If you want. Figured you'd want to scope it out for yourself first, being so overprotective and all."

"That's a good point." I mutter. I can hear voices, the steady rhythm of rock.

Tex can tell I'm stalling. He slings an arm conspiratorially around my shoulder. "Come on, Janey. We aren't so bad." With that, he hauls me around back.

The 'yard' is mostly parched earth scattered with lawn chairs and picnic tables. It looks like there's a firepit towards the back, where the ground becomes dense dry shrubs. The number of bikers is intense. I don't know what I was expecting. The yard is filled with probably twenty or thirty people. Men and women alike with tattoos and leather leather vests. I'm standing on the outskirts in jean shorts and a giant t-shirt feeling out of place.

Tex bumps my shoulder. "Drink?"

"No. I'm good."

"Suit yourself." He heads towards one of many large plastic tubs full of ice to keep the booze cold.

I find my eyes scanning the group of people, looking for Cash. 

Someone collides into the back of me, wrapping me in a fierce but tiny hug.

"Janey!" I pull Blister even tighter against me. When I glance down and she's looking at everyone nervously. "Who are all these people?"

"It's fine, Bliss. They're friends of Pearl and Tex."

I'm surprised to see couple kids are running around, giggling. They peer at Blister curiously, either intrigued by an older kid or surprised to see two strangers at the party.

"Well hey! If it isn't Georgie!" Tex strolls back over with a beer in one large hand and two cans of coke in the other. He hands us each a soda and twists the top off his bottle, chugging it unceremoniously. "You should go meet some of the kids."

Blister glances over at the group of children. "Maybe in a bit."

She needs to work up the nerve first. I understand the feeling. "Tex, how about you introduce us to," my eyes land on Doc talking to a few people at one of the picnic tables, "those people over there?"

He nods, and offers his arm faux-gentlemanly to my sister. She giggles and accepts.

"Got room at this little party?" Tex hollers as we approach. Doc immediately grins and gets up to give me a hug.