Chapter 22: Stick With The Plan

Start from the beginning

I shrugged, unsure what would be a safe answer. "What do you want to know about my assignment?"

"Lottie, this is dangerous," Tony exasperated and sat on one of the stool. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

It would be the only way to prove myself, because I had this dying feeling that Director Fury was still being skeptical of me. Nodding, I finished my coffee and headed over to the sink, where Bucky was filling his glass with water. Placing the mug in the sink, I ran a hand under the cool liquid. Bucky's hand reached behind me as he tried to pick something up from the kitchen surface. His presence surrounded me and I felt my heart skip a beat.

His voice was low and hoarse when he spoke, "Don't go, Lottie."

My cheeks heated in spite of our closeness when Bucky pulled back but stayed near. "This is different. I have to go," I replied under my breath. From the corner of my eyes I caught a grim expression on Bucky's face.

He wiped the sink with a cloth in his head. I kept my head low as I attempted to ignore Tony's ginger posture by the counter. "Be careful," Bucky said alas, reaching around my waist to place the cloth on the kitchen surface once more, leaving a ghostly kiss on the back of my head.

It was seven in the evening when Steve had arrived at Stark Tower. He left the elevator and exchanged a few words with Bucky. Both men were finally comfortable with each other. I could even catch a few laughs from their short conversation. When I opted to join them by the elevator, Steve flashed his pleasant smile at me.

"It's going to be fine. I'll make sure you're alright," Steve remarked confidently.

Shaking my head, I punched his arm playfully. "I'm more than capable in taking care of myself, Steve. But thanks."

Handing a bag over, Steve gestured towards the zip. "You can't just wear jeans for the assignment," He reminded. Frowning, I wondered what had Fury planned for me.

Unzipping the bag, I revealed a smooth, elastic outfit in black. At first glance I'd imagined it to be rather similar to Natasha's. "We've got it personally designed for you," Steve explained, "You can use your electric shock through the fabric of the uniform. It also reduces air resistance, which will enhance your movements in air." I gaped at the outfit in my hand, nerves and anticipation began to prickle my chest. "Go try it on," Steve grinned, "I'm sure you will like it."

It took me quite a bit effort to figure out the proper way to wear the uniform. But when I did, my jaw simply dropped at the sight of myself in the mirror.

The smooth uniform hugged my figure perfectly, cutting the edge and embracing the curve. The fabric was also thin and breathable, it almost felt like water on my skin.

Buckling the dark silver belt on my waist, my hands felt the side pockets that hid the smoke bombs. I inhaled heavily, the idea of going on a mission finally settled in.

I put on the stripes on my shoulders that helped me straightened up, which I realized they would definitely increase the momentum of my upper body's movements. Fury did think this through.

Pulling on my black combat boots as well as the gloves that they gave me, I left my room and met the men in the main room.

They were silent, their eyes widened and slowly, a smile grew on Steve's face. Blushing, I neared them and dropped the bag on the floor. "You're ready to go," Steve remarked.

I nodded and stated the obvious, "What if my identity is exposed?"

Steve reached over my head and pulled the hood on. Surprised, I felt the hood as Steve zipped up. Once he had led the zip to the top, the front of the hood stopped just on my nose, covering half of my face and only revealed my eyes.

"This is smart," I laughed and unzipped the hood for the moment. Fumbling in his side pocket, Steve dug out an earpiece for me. I put it on and he fished a small box out of my waist belt's pocket.

"I'm getting a smoky eyes?" I questioned in confusion. Steve chuckled and opened the box for me.

"It's to protect your identity as well."

Of course. I damped two fingers into the thick, eyeliner gel-like substance and rubbed it around my eyes. When Steve gave me a thumb up, I stopped and placed the box into my pocket carefully.

Bucky was silent the whole way through. But when Steve took me to the top floor of Stark Tower, Bucky tugged at my sleeve. Before I could say anything, he pulled me in for a tight hug. I inhaled his scent quietly and when he finally released me, he gave me a reassuring smile. "I'll be right here," He said softly. I nodded and left with Steve, who merely glanced at me with a genuine smile.

A Shield helicopter was on standby. Steve took a massive leap and got onto the helicopter that was hovering in mid air. Through the chaotic noises from the helicopter blades, Pepper gave me a lingering hug, her blonde hair whipping in the wild wind.

"Be careful!" Tony raised his voice so that I could hear him above the chaos. I gave him a thumb up and jumped over the edge of his rooftop platform. I willed the air particles to push me upwards, and I landed safely in the helicopter as well.

"Buckle your seat belts, please," A man from my earpiece instructed. I did as I was told and next to me, Steve knocked on the window that separated us and the controller loudly.

"Let's go," Steve announced. His voice echoed in my earpiece.

"Roger that," The man replied and I felt the helicopter being lifted into the evening light.

It didn't take us long to arrive at our first destination. The building was quiet and dark. It was a tall skyscraper that had Osborne written on front. "We will do this quick," Steve's voice boomed through the system. "We find what's useful. We get the information and we leave."

"Got it," I muttered and when he gave me a short nod, I hoped off the helicopter that was circling in the sky. I free fell for three good old heartbeats before bracing myself for landing on the rooftop.

"Let's start with floor thirty."

Fury's voice surprised me in my earpiece. But knowing better than to question that, I leaped off the rooftop once more to shoot down the side of the building. "Damn, she's good," Someone from my earpiece murmured.

I found the floor with ease. Hovering in the air, I used Shield's laser pen to cut an entrance on the glass. Once I was in there, I reported my location through my earpiece, confidence was slowly growing back in me.

The evening sky eventually turned a shade darker as night embraced the building. There was not a soul in the sky, and I allowed myself into the mystery of this base.

————————————————————————————————————————-

I really wanted to finish writing the assignment in this chapter but I reckoned it would be too long. Hence I will need to put this into the next chapter:) Please vote or comment if you're enjoying the story so far!

-Rivers