"Caitlyn's son." I mumbled. Melanie looked up at me with tearful eyes.

"I-i-if I'd have known I'd have bumped into you this morning I wouldn't have come here," She explained. "I'm sorry Spencer." Her tone was so sincere and apologetic it took my breath away all over again.

"Do you know what today is?" I whispered, my eyes unblinking from the boy again as he innocently looked around at the people walking by and the shops surrounding us.

"Yes. But it's also Thomas' third birthday," She explained, bouncing the boy on her hip. He cheered at her words and she laughed at his excitement. "I'm looking after him so Caitlyn can sort his surprise." She explained and I nodded.

"I-I-I have to get to w-w-work." I stuttered, deciding there and then that I had to tear myself away from the situation as quickly as possible.

"Please," She said, grabbing my hand before I could run away. "Let's just talk a while? Please?" Her tone was so pleading and emotional I knew I couldn't say no.

When I didn't say anything she sighed and smiled.

"Thank you," She mumbled. "I'm taking Thomas to play-group and then we're going for some lunch. If I call my dad will you come with us?" I slowly nodded my head, deciding that I actually really wanted to spend some time with her. 

On today of all days... I missed her.

The Daughter

I hadn't expected to see Spencer. On today of all days especially.

I was only in town for a few hours to celebrate my godson's birthday and then I was back to New York to complete my team's training. I never would have thought I'd bump into Spencer in the middle of the side-walk when he really should've been in work.

He sat in silence in shot-gun while Thomas and I sung along to some nursery rhymes. I tried to catch up with Caitlyn, Ben, Daisy and Thomas whenever I was back in D.C but that didn't always go according to plan and so I missed out on a lot.

But Thomas was my god-son and I knew I wasn't going to miss out on his third birthday. I'd missed his second the year previous and I hadn't forgiven myself.

"Just give me five minutes." I said to Spencer as we pulled up outside the play-group. "I'll take him in and then I'll call my dad." Spencer nodded but said no words.

"You be good Tommy, okay?" He nodded his beautiful mop of curls as I settled him down on his feet by his coat-peg. 

He hung up his little cardigan and ran for his group of friends over by the building blocks. I signed my name on the register and thanked his key-worker before heading outside worriedly.

I watched from the doorway as Spencer leaned against the hood of my car, smoking as he stared into space. I wondered how many of those he'd already had that morning.

"Melanie, is everything okay?" My dad answered on the third beat.

"Uh, not entirely..." I mused. "I'm with Spencer," I explained. "And you know what day it is."

"It's Thomas' birthday, but of course I know what day it is," He sighed. "Tell Spencer not to worry about anything. I'll expect him to join us whenever he's ready."

"Thank you dad. I'll pop by and see Beth and Jack before I leave."

"They'd like that. Take care Mel."

"You too." I hung up with a heaved sigh and knew that these next few hours were going to be some of the worst.