[ track 03 ] this will be our year

┏━━━━ •❃°•°❀°•°❃• ━━━━┓
chapter three
" And I won't forget
the way you held me up
when I was down. "
┗━━━━ •❃°•°❀°•°❃• ━━━━┛

NOW PLAYING: "THIS WILL BE OUR YEAR" by THE ZOMBIES (1968)

________

RORY: It can be funny, you know? When you're growing up with people, especially in your teenage years, you hit a lot of milestones that, at the time, seem very important. And sometimes you share those moments with the person you would least expect.

∴━━━ ✿ ━━━∴

IT'S NOT UNTIL the spring of 1969 that the boys find out that Rory doesn't just write songs— she can also play several instruments. Eddie is the first to realize it one afternoon before practice.

"You play?" he asks after she corrects the chord he's supposed to be playing, half interrupting her words.

Rory's mouth continues to hang open mid-sentence for a moment before she admits, "A little."

"Which is Rory Language for 'yes.'" Eddie grins, his brown eyes lighting up in excitement. "How come you never told us?"

"Wasn't important."

"Bull. Shit."

It hasn't even been a year since they became friends and the entire band often tells Rory that she has a habit of selling herself short. She wouldn't call it that. It's more of... a deep-rooted fear that she's going to sound boastful or narcissistic if she talks about herself.

Eddie removes the guitar strap from his shoulder and practically shoves the instrument into her hands. "Play."

Her gaze flickers around. They're alone in Chuck's garage, having been the first ones to show up to practice because Mrs. Loving had insisted that Chuck must finish his homework before he can join them. The actual Dunne Brothers are late. Warren is probably sneaking in a quick smoke break on the next street over; ever since New Year's Eve, he's been paranoid about ruining Rory's lungs with his budding habit.