22. You Are Light, Pure Light

Start from the beginning

Fear. Pure fear.

What had this bastard done to her.

"Don't fucking touch her", he shouted towards Pekka Rollins. The man Kaz Brekker hated most in Ketterdam, and after the sight in front of him, the whole world.

"Isn't this a pleasant surprise. Glad you could make it, Mr Brekker. I was hoping you would be present to watch your precious shadow summoner finally break in line", Pekka said as he pushed Winnie down to the ground.

Kaz shivered at his words.

He remembered back to when he had wanted to break Winnie into the Dreg's. It was like he was looking into a mirror, and he despised what he saw.

Winnie was now lying on her knees with her hands holding her torso up off the ground.

Kaz could hear her staggered breathing, her crying. He could see her whole body shaking like a leaf.

Pekka Rollins crouched down and started saying something that Kaz couldn't hear but knew from Winnie's reaction that it was the most horrible, evil thing he could have told her.

"No ... no ... please. Please. NO!" Winnie staggered and yelled through her cries.

Kaz felt something inside of him click at the sound of Winnie's screams.

It was as if a long-awaited anger had been let out of its cage.

He turned to Inej who had followed in just behind him and nodded.

With that cue, Inej threw two knives towards the two men who stood holding Jesper. They fell back in pain as the knives found homes in each of their arms.

Inej ran over and cut Jesper free before handing him his guns that they had found on a desk just outside the room.

Kaz heard two-gun shots and turned to see Pekka's men surrounded by a dark red pool.

He walked over towards the girl he had spent the past month longing to see again. She was now in a balled-up position with her hands over her ears, crying manically, rocking back and forth, and whispering something under her breath.

Kaz walked up to Pekka Rollins who had a satisfied look across his face as he admired his work.

One look at Winnie's exposed skin filled him with even more rage. There were open wounds and fresh bruises littered across it. 

He hit Pekka as hard as he could with his cane, causing it to break in half.

Rollins dropped to the floor.

Kaz flicked his eyes between him and Winnie. He deserved to die for what he did. Right here, right now.

Jesper and Inej came up behind him and Jesper pointed his gun at Rollin's head.

"No", Kaz demanded quickly right before Jesper pulled the trigger.

"What?" Inej and Jesper both said at the same time, just as shocked as each other.

Brick by brick.

"He will pay for what he has done, in time. But now isn't the right moment", he said staring daggers at the unconscious man.

He turned to look at Inej and Jesper and saw a terrified expression across both of their faces. He furrowed his eyebrows slightly before he noticed the silence filling the room.

It was silent.

Winnie.

Kaz spun back around to where the girl was last rocking on the floor, but she was no longer there.