004. payback's a bitch

Start from the beginning

Madelyn furrowed her eyes, looking over to where her mother was punching her dad. "Yes that is my mother.

"You tell me the killer is back over a text!" Madelyn listened to her mother shout at her father.

"Ow that hurts!"

"Good!" Her mother exclaimed.

Madelyn made her way over to them. "You told her over a text! You said you called her."

"No Madelyn, I said I spoke to her, I never said in what way." Dewey defended himself. "And you were on the air."

"How do you know?" Gale asked.

"A hunch." Dewey chuckled.

"Hi mum." Madelyn finally greeted the woman.

"Maddie, hi." Gale hugged her daughter. "Look at you, you're gorgeous."

"Thanks." Madelyn squeezed her mum.

Madelyn watched as her mum and dad spoke for a few moments, them both getting emotional as Madelyn stood with Nick. When they stopped talking Gale turned back to the brunette.

"I'm sorry about your friend." Gale apologised to the girl, who forced a weak smile onto her face.

"It's fine." Madelyn wiped the tears from her cheeks. "I mean it's not fine, he's my best friend, but, we've all lost people, right?"

"It's okay to be upset, Maddie." Gale told her, stepping forward.

"Wes is my best friend, Wes was my best friend, he was my brother. Sheriff Hicks took care of me all the time. They were family." Madelyn sniffled, shaking her head frantically. She wiped her eyes, holding her hands together in front of her and huffing. "But I'm fine."

The two stood in silence for a few moments, Nick bouncing on his heels behind them awkwardly.

"Um, I'm sorry... that I picked Dad. It's just—" She gestured around before she felt Nick hold her hand behind her back. "Everything for me, was here, is here and I was like fifteen and my dad came into my bedroom at like midnight and asked me if I wanted to go home."

"I get it, Maddie. You don't have to be sorry." Gale stated.

"Who's at the hospital?" Madelyn's head snapped in the opposite direction, Sam's question catching her attention as she stood in front of her father and two police officers. "Who's watching my sister?"

"I just heard about the Sheriff." Sam scoffed running off. "They needed me here!"

"Where are you going?" Dewey called after the girl.

"My sister's in trouble!" Sam shouted.

"I gotta go, that's Tara." Madelyn looked between her mum and her best friend, both of them nodding as Madelyn turned around and rushing towards Sam's car. Her mum was quick to move away from Nick, walking over to her team and starting her report on the murders. Madelyn opened the back seat door, already knowing her dad was going to join them in a moment. She practically jumped inside as her dad opened the front door, sitting in the passenger's seat. Sam looked between them in confusion.

"What are you waiting for? Drive!" Dewey ordered. "Come on. Let's go!"

Sam turned the engine on, putting the car in reverse and speeding down the road, turning around and heading towards the hospital. Sam grabbed her phone as she drove down the road as quickly as she could. Richie answered the phone, Sam telling him what was happening and for him to go to the hospital.

"Should you really be making a phone call right now?" Dewey asked the girl.

"Please, please." Sam begged under her breath as she held the phone on speaker. Sam sped through the red lights, a car beeping their horn as it nearly hit them.